New kitty adversely affecting my previously abused older cat

calliemaylily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lily has suddenly had an adverse effect on our older (5-6 year old) previously abused cat.  All are fixed and in sound health (just had their annuals within the past three weeks with the older cat being within the past ten days).

The older cat gets "moody" at times with weather changes, barometric pressure changes, etc. but literally overnight she is now hiding in my box springs and going potty under my bed behind storage boxes and fearful of this new cat.  She still reacts normally with our THIRD cat.

This new cat is barely a year old and plays pretty rough at times, so we have to remove her from the older at times, but it's never been this bad in the 6 weeks she's been inside with us.  However, lately she has been much calmer UNTIL two days ago.  For whatever reason, hurricane Lily has arrived.  (May be the barometric pressure here as well)

My vet it out till Monday, so I was trying catnip (but it's agitating the older one while calming the younger). Feliway makes older cat SPASTIC so I can't use that at all.

I also have Valerian (hubby takes it) and Clary Sage oil (highly pure) and lavender flowers from my garden.  I'm wondering if I could put a teeny pinch of Valerian or a small bit of a lavender  flower in a cat toy beside the older cat OR perhaps a couple drops of Clary Sage on a cotton ball to help calm this older cat down.

Ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calliemaylily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm.  Update:  Our older abused cat FINALLY came out of hiding today.  She's not "thrilled" with the new cat, but she doesn't seem as afraid or upset anymore.  Still going to call the vet tomorrow, but I'm thinking that for this precise moment, she seems better.  I did put clary sage (one drop on two different cotton balls) and put them around in case, and I steamed some of my lavender flowers, but that doesn't seem to be the key since she came out a full day after that.  I'm just thankful to see her and watch her behaving somewhat normally now.