New kitties!

dreamingbyday

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

This is Avalon (bottom) & Shima (Japanese for stripe because of her tail). They are 12 weeks old. Sisters. They come from the home of a friend. She has several cats (many, many) that live in her large garage. Since the big boys attack the little ones, she keeps kittens in a kennel with their mother until they can be spayed/neutered. So, they had very little contact with humans. Basically, only my friend. They came to my home two weeks ago today. They spent most of the first week hiding behind the couch, or in the corner spot I made for them. They come out now. They play. They love the laser light, and I have only one wand toy, but more are coming, including the cat dancer. They are eating well. Pooping well. I lay on the floor to give them treats. I have been doing the slow blink.

However, they are still extremely wary of me. If I move too close, they bolt. They are afraid to get close. I was hoping for affectionate kitties - they are companion pets. I know I might just be impatient, but some have told me to catch them and hold them, to force them to get to know. Not sure if that is going to work.

Anyone have suggestions or thoughts?

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi @DreamingByDay  ! Welcome to TCS and congrats on your two new kitties!

Please be patient with them. They will need more time to adjust to you and their new home!! If they are not yet fixed, i hope you plan to get that taken care of soon.

some advise, from personal experience

1) be patient and IGNORE the kitties. let them explore and let them figure things out..they need to do this to feel confident in their territory. If they feel like you're always waiting for them to come out so you can hold them or pet them, it might hinder their progress. it might be best to keep them both confined to one room for now, with their litter and water and food available to them. once they're comfortable in just the one room, they will want to venture out on their own, but it could be that having free reign of a completely new territory is a bit daunting for them both..

2) please do get more toys for them!! play with them both for at least 15 mins about twice a day, and reward them with treats afterwards. while they are eating treats, please pet and praise them. 

3) when talking to the kitties makes sure your voice is soft, small, and friendly and gentle! do not underestimate how much of a difference the tone of your voice will make! and, when handling or being near kitties, makes sure to be calm, happy and confident, as your kitties can and will mimic the energy you put out!

4) when you are feeding them their usual meal, try to sit next to kitty and pet them while they eat. pet them and talk to them. this will help them learn that you are not just the bringer of foods, but also someone who cares about them, and brings affection and love!

and most importantly...be patient as you have been :)

I hope others chime in with better advice! good luck with your two new kitties! i hope to see more of Avalon and Shima on the site (please post more pics!!) they are ADORABLE!!!! 

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are still very new and scared, it will take time and patience to make them your friends. Plus they are still kittens and won't 'calm' down for a few years. Don't force them to do anything, this will just scare them, if you grab them to pet them they will be very frightened. For now just sit with them quietly and talk to them, read a book, or in other words, spend time with them. Play with them and offer tasty treats, liked chicken baby food, no cat can resist that! It will just take time, but they will come around, keep us posted! PS. they are really beautiful cats and I'm so happy you got two, built in friends!