New Kittens Want Back Outside

Amarumane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There's a stray cat i have been feeding for awhile and six weeks ago she had kittens. My mom who lives next to me has taken the kittens into her home. We took one to the vet that was sick and got them toys cat food litter boxes.But I feel sort of bad because they keep crying to go outside. I feel like we're forcing them to be inside where they don't have as much room to explore as they did outside and the mama cats been walking around outside looking upset. I don't know what to do we want to keep them inside so they're safe and taken care of but they keep crying and trying to get out so i feel guilty keeping them indoors. Will they be ok does it just take time for them to be used to staying indoors and could they be happy permanently inside now ?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
At 6 weeks, they're crying for - and need - their mother, not to be outside. Mom should be brought inside, even if it means letting her go outside alone for short periods. She'll also have to be spayed before she ends up pregnant again.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for young kittens
to cry for their mother. They don't want to go outside, they are missing their mom. Is there a way you can bring mom inside? You could take her to a low cost spay/neuter clinic such as Humane Society or Animal Friends, which will charge 20-35 dollars and that usually includes vaccinations, flea medication, and deworming. Are you planning to take the kittens to a shelter or find homes for them? It would be great if you could help their mom cat as well. The crying will continue for a few weeks, there's no getting around It, but you are socializing the kittens so they can be adopted and spared the harsh life of living outdoors. It's what's best for them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, bring the mom cat inside with them! They should not be separated right now. :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:hellocomputer: Welcome to TCS! And blessings on your household for rescuing those kitties! The mom may be going back into heat and should be spayed as soon as you can - even if she gets pregnant, the procedure can be done safely. And yes, the kittens are meowing to be with their mom, not just for nursing but for socializing. Kittens learn by observation so if they see mama kitty outside, they think that they need to be outside, too. The good thing is that kittens also learn socialization from people and they will learn from you how to be awesome INSIDE cats :kitty::bigeyes::catrub:
.....what resources do you have for getting mama kitty spayed, wormed and vaccinated?