New Kittens Small Weights

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I am new here and hoping someone can give me some help :)
A few weeks ago we brought in a stray that has been in our garden for a few weeks she looked very big around the belly so as I thought she was pregnant.
She gave birth early hours of the morning (about 15 hours ago) and I have weighed them as soon as I knew she was done and settled.
Ginger and white 89
White with black 1 84
White and black 2 88

I have searched and know these are on the smaller end of newborn weight but she has been feeding them and seem ok for now. So would you intervene or wait and see what they weigh in the morning?
Mum cat is a smallish cat vet thinks around 4years old. She is calico and gorgeous!

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would weigh them twice a day and make sure they're growing well. If you don't see them gaining enough, that's the time to intervene. Since there are only three, there shouldn't be any problem with everybody getting enough to eat, as long as Mama's milk supply is good. Make sure she gets plenty of high-calorie kitten food and lots of water to drink so she can make milk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I am going to go in and feed mum again and weigh them again as she not moved from them for the last few hours!
Should they gain much in the first 24 hours?
Also mum is long haired so will that make finding nipples harder?
She has her own room away from my cats. I have 5 indoor cats so having her doesn't make a difference in my house however all mine are spayed/neutered.

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think they look premature although I have no idea how far along mum cat was!

Attachments

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They might not gain much the first day if the milk hasn't fully come in yet, but they should gain at least a little.
I found this, from an article on this site:

"The exact number of grams that should be gained depends on the kitten's initial weight and its age.

Healthy kittens weigh between 80 and 170 grams (2.8-6 ounces) at birth. They gain weight quickly, sometimes even doubling their birth weight within a single week. For an average healthy kitten, StefanZ suggests a weight gain of 10 grams a day as a good rule of thumb. Smaller kittens are expected to gain weight in smaller daily increments. "Beginning day 2 babies should be gaining a minimum of 7 grams," says catwoman707. "The safe area is more than 8 grams and some will gain up to 1/2 oz (14 grams) a day," she adds. If a kitten that was born within normal birth weight range fails to gain at least 7 grams a day for more than a single day, it's cause for concern."
Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives)

It's good that they have their own room, that will be less stressful for Mom than having other animals around.

ETA: They're adorable! And I agree they don't look premature.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the above. They are smallish but not alarmingly so. If they seem good with nursing momma, observe and continue to monitor, optically and by weighing.

Of course, during the time you can always get home some gears. The cheapest is probably goats milk - as you can use it yourself if they dont need. :)

Kittens whom have momma seldom accept a bottle, so either a needleless syringe (easier than a dropper) or you can try with a little sponge, a la make-up sponge....

Good you are observant and vigilant. This is the key in these border cases.

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mum was a bit agitated earlier a few hours after they were born she likes to sit on the window so she was going there a lot but she seems happier now. She had them in the middle of the room so I had to move them somewhere a bit safer and she seems ok with being there for now!
Cant believe how tiny they are!
Fingers crossed all goes well.

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is mum, She is smallish minus the baby weight of course!

Attachments

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have a couple of grams gain from them not much but the vet told me they can actually loose weight in the 1st 24 hours up to 10%?, they are very mobile for tiny kittens too ! They seem to finding it hard to find mums nipples as she is very long haired is this normal and will they adjust?
They only want to use the same nipples I'm guessing that it normal too but they are fighting over one sometime so I move one to another and watch to make sure they are all feeding.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can trim down some of the fur around the nipples, if you can and dare - I know its that easy.
But if they dont gain more next time you take weigh, you will be forced to take a more vigorous action..

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mum hasn't left them apart from to eat drink and go in the litter so I know they have fed. They are very loud if they need to be fed that's for sure! I am going to brave the shave I think as it's hard for me find her nipple and I have my sight so they must find it even harder. If they did loose weight and gain maybe they have gained an Ok amount or do they rarely loose any at newborn?

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Here is a video of them feeding, they have been doing this most of the day so that's a good thing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, newborns nurse constantly. It is normal. They should begin to gain in the next 24 hours.

You can carefully trim the fur on mom's belly around the nipples if you need to.

Continue to make sure all kittens are nursing. :)

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Am going to weigh them again in a minute I am guessing they all lost a few grams when first born so hoping they are back up now.
I am going and checking every few hours just to make sure they are all latching.
The ginger boy is always out of the bed as soon as mum leaves he's very mobile!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You have home the gears for supplement feeding, if it even becomes necessary?

Its true, in theory they may lose some the first day. But in practice they seldom do. Or rather, the gain compensates most of the losing...

So when they actually DO lose, its a memento, a warning sign. Being extra vigilant is necessary.

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will be getting some kitten formula and syringes tomorrow morning so I am prepared to step in at any point. Any good formula I can get I am in the uk? So they have all gained 10 grams and it will be 24 hours in a few hours.
They all have round bellies and ive given mum a trim as one of the kittens will only use nipple and it was hidden under all her fur and the poor kitten was getting frustrated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here in the U.S. I prefer PetAg powdered formula in the can that you mix up. Pre-mixed formula is nasty, so don't get that. Royal Canin is good too.

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok i am hoping I won't need it but I will get some just in case.
Do all nipples have milk as I've noticed that sometimes when one is feeding she is getting frustrated but only wants to be on that nipple as I have tried guided onto another.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Usually only the mammaries behind the nipples getting used will have milk after the first couple of weeks.

Lauren669

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok that makes sense, well they were weighed at 11pm and again just a minute ago and they have gained 10 grams, 10 grams and 13 grams so by 24 hours they should have gained more. :)