New Kittens- Problem

Kuester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Backstory- I live in a house with 3 other people, my dad works from home and often sits in the recliner in the living room. We have a 12 year old cat that was born and raised in the house. I brought 3 kittens(2 females, 1 male) into the home on 6/7/18 (roughly 10 weeks old) they were born outside from a stray cat far in the country at my friends house the first week of April 2018. Brought them to the vet and they were surprised they were outdoors the first 10 weeks of life because they're so healthy. These past 10 days they've been perfect and the older cat is doing great getting used to their energy(no fights or stand offs). They've been eating good, playing a lot, napping a lot and using the litter box consistently. Started them with only access to the kitchen, after 2 days access to living room as well, 2 days later to the 2 bedrooms and bathroom, just today I gave access to 1/4 of the basement.

The problem- All humans were out of the house today and when we came home one of the little girls was squatting and peeing on the recliner.... why might this have happened?! Her brother and sister got up from their naps and went to the litter boxes and peed. The recliner is brand new just brought it home in April. I was in shock that this happened because they've all been great using the litter boxes and not showing any sign of relieving themselves elsewhere. It's really upsetting. Could it be because my dads usually home and in the recliner all the time that she bonded and it's separation anxiety or she recognizes it as a safe place? Help please.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never let a kitten have free run of the house until around 4 months old. Little kids get into every thing & have accidents. Kittens do to. Best to clean the chair with an enzyme cleaner. Also a good rule of thumb for wee kittens is one litter box in every room. The minimum # of litter boxes you should plan on having when they all grow up is 5 (maybe 4 if you get lucky.)

They grow up fast, take lots of pictures :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And thank you for rescuing those kittens. :catlove:

Kittens, like children, can have litter box accidents. Clean the recliner with an enzyme cleaner, as that is the only cleaner that will completely remove the urine scent.

How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Hopefully that was a one time only accident, and she'll use the litter boxes from now on. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kuester

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not seen her peeing outside the litter box. But my sister saw her poop inside the closet and the downstairs bathroom. And the litter box is right next to the bathroom! No pee though. Ive been blasting all areas with an enzyme cleaner. The other two have never shown signs of going to the bathroom anywhere else. Only the runt is doing this. Our house upstairs and down is only 950sqft they have access to only like 600-650sqft. I clean the litter boxes twice a day. Theres no where to put any other litter boxes in my house. We've had 3-4-5 cats all my life and only had 2 litter boxes max never had any issues. Got them all as kittens. The 3 boxes we have now are all evenly distributed. They're about 12 weeks old now.