New kittens, one has diarrhea

KenHorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently lost our 19 year old girl and rescued 2 female kittens from a local shelter. One is a gray tabby and the other a tux and both have all their shots (except rabies, which happens in a couple of weeks) and are spayed. Both are happy, active and (of course) bundles of energy. They're both eating and drinking well. 3 days after getting them we took them both to our usual vet for a complete checkup and all looked good.

However...the tux developed diarrhea and REALLY foul smelling poo. It is loose, slimey and (did I mention) REALLY foul smelling poo? We did a fecal sample and nothing unusual was found (no parasites, etc). Vet suggested some probiotics for a week to see if that helps. It's only been 2 days but no improvement so far.

Since we took them home, we've free fed them Nulo grain-free turkey and chicken kibble as well as 2 or 3 3 oz cans of Weruva "BFF" tune & shrimp wet food a day.

Could it be a food issue for the tux?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the food, try removing the fish. If you want to feed two flavours, try another meat .You could also give s boulardii, it always helps mine when they have diarrhea.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be the food for sure. Bff isn't really the best for kittens because you need a ton of it for calories. And cats/kittens should not be fed fish daily to help prevent urinary issues. I would try another food for sure. One that has probiotics in it :)