New kitten’s eye seems odd

Trah321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

I recently got a new adorable, extremely playful kitten. He definitely runs around and gets himself stuck in weird places. One week after adopting him, I notice his outer eye corner always bulges out and shows white , especially when he is really focusing hard on something or playing. It also seems really red. His vet appointment is still a week away, but I’m really curious if this is something to worry about. He doesn’t seem like it bothers him much.

Would appreciate any thoughts on what to do regarding this!
E182BDBD-E46D-43D3-BF11-CD75E7D195AB.jpeg

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What you are seeing is part of the third eyelid. Its visibility is not an emergency but does need your vet's attention next week.

Does this only happen on the left side?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What you are seeing is part of the third eyelid.
Actually no. The third eyelid protrudes from the inner eye, next to the nose, and covers the eye from the inside to the outer eye.

T Trah321 Your kittens eyes look really healthy. Some breeds of cats have rounder, more open eyes than other cats do. I think what you are seeing is the whites of his eyes. When cats get excited they open their eyes wider, so you are more likely to see the whites.

A vet visit is always a good idea with a new kitten, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I see, your cat has blue eyes.
Is there a chance that his ancestors might have a Siamese influence?
Certain cats might have slightly crossed eyes, typical of Siamese cats, sometimes even only one eye, and when this eye "looks inward", the white third eyelid may show up.
Take a look at this photo, she's a cat of my colony, one of her eyes is crossed, it looks inward, and a white membrane shows up on the outer corner of the eye.
She wasn't like this when she was younger, she developed this feature around a year of age.
Occhioni_20210813_Crop.jpg