New Kittens Bleeding

Gabrielle Comeaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I need help ASAP. I have a litter of kittens only 1 weeks old. The mother cat is licking one of the kittens’ bottom too much and causing it to bleed and “pucker” it’s bright red. The kitten screams when the mother cat licks her bottom. What should I do? I thought about taking a q-tip and pushing it back in perhaps? PLEASE HELP!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gabrielle Comeaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our vets are closed until Monday. Is there anything I should do? Put anything on it? Is it puckering like that bc of the mom cat?

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks swollen, but do not try to push it with a q tip! I don't see how this can resolve itself without the help of a vet, as the mom cat needs to stimulate the kitten with her tongue like that's to make it go to the bathroom. It could be that this cat is constipated, or that the mom is overly licking the kitten. Only the vet can tell for sure, and let you know what (if anything) is safe to apply to the area.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don't push it back in. The kitten may have anal or rectal prolapse, which must be treated by a vet as soon as possible. You should be able to put a bit of vaseline on the area to keep it moist if you can't get the kitten to an emergency vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gabrielle Comeaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got the picture sent over to a veterinarian. She said it just looks irritated and swollen. I should apply preparation H and keep the mom from cleaning her bottom for a while.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will you be helping the kitten to eliminate, then? They have to be stimulated to pee and poop.

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad that it's just a little bit swollen, and I hope it gets back to normal soon. Like talkingpeanut mentioned, the kitten will need some help going to the bathroom. Did the vet suggest a way to stimulate the kitten which will not irritate it?