New Kitten

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I currently have an almost 2 year old male neutered Himalayan. We had a 1 year old Himalayan pass away in March due to FIP. It was devastatingly and unexpected. My 2 year old Himalayan who is still with us is doing fine and showing no signs of illness, however is lonely without his partner in crime. Our vet said we are good to bring home a new kitten.

We found a Persian kitten and will be bringing him home this coming Friday. I'm familiar with bringing home a new kitten while having a resident cat ( we set up one of the spare bedrooms for him with lots of toys beds and a litterbox).

My question is will my resident cat be quicker to accept the new kitten than he was when we brought home the kitten we had that passed? It took us about 2 weeks to get them comfortable and were best friends right after. But since he has lived with another cat before I was curious if he would be more comfortable around another new kitten

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi A ameyers0108 :wave3:
Sending you extra vibes for tomorrow, friday, when bringing home your new kitten. :kneading:
(I'm also sorry that you lost your other cat, this past March. Losing a cat is never easy.)
My question is will my resident cat be quicker to accept the new kitten than he was when we brought home the kitten we had that passed? It took us about 2 weeks to get them comfortable and were best friends right after. But since he has lived with another cat before I was curious if he would be more comfortable around another new kitten
That's a good question. And I'm not really sure.
I think it all depends upon your resident's cat personality, but also on the way you set up your cat-to-cat introductions.
(In a way, you were quite lucky that it only took 2 weeks, to get them comfortable, before. It may have been because both were younger, or also because of both cat's personalities.):thumbsup:

I'd say try to do all the steps mentioned in this Cat Site Article, and spend some time on each step, before moving on to the next one. How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

But I know you've mentioned that you are already familiar with the cat introductions, ...and bringing home a kitten makes things move so much faster.
So I'm also really curious, about how your resident cat will react. :think:
I hope everything goes as smooth as possible.:cloud9: :catrub::lovecat2:
This is so exciting. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi love! Thank you for the positive vibes!! I can't wait to bring home the new baby! I've been up all night with excitement. We are getting him this afternoon, my husband is even leaving work early to get him because we can't wait. I'm nervous to go through the introduction process. I feel bad for my resident cat but in the end I think he will enjoy a new friend (at least i hope). I've got the kittens room all set and ready to go in one of the spare bedrooms. I'll keep you updated on how things go. Wish us all luck!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi A ameyers0108 ...:D...I don't think you have anything to be nervous about. (It's probably just 'nervous excitement'...that is pretty normal.):blush:
And your resident cat will love this new cat. (He is also gorgeous, btw. :lovecat2:)
You're going to have to tell us both their names, the resident and new guy.
And yes, definitely update as soon as you can. (I'm thinking that the kitten and your resident will keep you busy today, unless the kitten is sleeping.)

I'll wish you all luck...but you won't need it. :)
It's going to be fun. :thumbsup:

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow we're in similar situations! my little calico is 4 yrs old and she had a 'big brother' (a persian) who was an old man in his 20s. he was so good natured that he immediately accepted and adored her even at his old age without a problem. he passed when she was just 2 yrs old. she misses him, she used to dote on him and mother him like crazy.

we're getting a female exotic shorthair persian on tuesday and we're sooo excited and nervous. i'm worried too much time has passed and she will hate having another cat around or something. but i've read that cats who were raised with other cats are much more open to multi-cat households.

i think we'll be fine, especially with that lovely persian personality that other cats get along with so well. yours is so young so i am sure he will love it. as i type mine is tapping her paw on me over and over to play more. :lol: i really hope she eventually plays with the kitten, i just can't keep up with her energy levels!

lets keep each other updated :)

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So first night home the kitten did very well. He's very friendly and playful. My husband slept with him in the kittens room. My resident cat has been sitting by the kittens door most of the night and today he's been sticking his foot under the door. The two keep swatting at each other's paws. I think that's a good sign. I'm doing scent swapping today but I think that's as far as contact I'm going to do with them. My resident is a little withdrawn from me and doesn't seem as happy as he usually does. I keep giving him treats and attention.

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it was nervous excitement lol and thank you for the compliment on my resident cat, Larry. He's a sweetheart. The new kitten is Louie.

Hi A ameyers0108 ...:D...I don't think you have anything to be nervous about. (It's probably just 'nervous excitement'...that is pretty normal.):blush:
And your resident cat will love this new cat. (He is also gorgeous, btw. :lovecat2:)
You're going to have to tell us both their names, the resident and new guy.
And yes, definitely update as soon as you can. (I'm thinking that the kitten and your resident will keep you busy today, unless the kitten is sleeping.)

I'll wish you all luck...but you won't need it. :)
It's going to be fun. :thumbsup:

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm interested to hear how your kitties do! I love love love exotic shorthairs. I'm going to need to see pictures of the new baby!

wow we're in similar situations! my little calico is 4 yrs old and she had a 'big brother' (a persian) who was an old man in his 20s. he was so good natured that he immediately accepted and adored her even at his old age without a problem. he passed when she was just 2 yrs old. she misses him, she used to dote on him and mother him like crazy.

we're getting a female exotic shorthair persian on tuesday and we're sooo excited and nervous. i'm worried too much time has passed and she will hate having another cat around or something. but i've read that cats who were raised with other cats are much more open to multi-cat households.

i think we'll be fine, especially with that lovely persian personality that other cats get along with so well. yours is so young so i am sure he will love it. as i type mine is tapping her paw on me over and over to play more. :lol: i really hope she eventually plays with the kitten, i just can't keep up with her energy levels!

lets keep each other updated :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Your photos are adorable! :loveeyes:
How did you get kitten Louie to stand up like that? He looks like a little fluff ball. :D

I love the photo of kitten Louie looking at the paw, of Larry, underneath the door. :lol:
That is one photo, no one ever thinks of taking.
(If you have time, can you take one of Larry on the other side of the door. I'm just wondering the size difference. :biggrin:)

Yes, it's good that you give extra attention to your Himalayan Larry, since he always has to know that he's number one.
That way, when little Louie is older, he won't try to push him around, either.

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Larry has been doing very well knowing Louie is on the other side of the door. I fed them with the door open a crack so they could see each other and both ate with no hissing or growling. Then I let them see each other through the door cracked and gave them toys to play with and both did fine. So I put up a baby gate and opened the door and again both were playing and no hissing. So I took them both to a neutral room and Larry wanted to play and was very interested in louie. Louie was hissing a little at Larry and was exploring the room. I let them play for about a half hour. Louie was the only one hissing. So I have him back in his safe room. Relaxing with the baby gate up so they can see each other. Louie keeps trying to climb it and escape but I think he needs a nap lol

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol...yeah, it sounds like kitten Louie needs a nap...but I have to laugh, ...since he's already trying to climb the baby gate.:)
That already sounds like confident kitten behaviour. Ready to explore the rest of the place, and not letting any barriers stop him.
It's actually amazing to just sit back and watch them, try to figure things out.:cloud9:

Your Larry sounds really good, in that he did not hiss at all.:thumbsup:
Meanwhile, it's his territory. That says a lot. Hopefully, little Louie will get some of Larry's calmness rubbed off on him.
I notice you have tons of cat toys, there.
Does your big guy Larry have a favourite?

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Larry is a great cat. He's always by my side, waiting at the door for me when I get home. Is it possible they are ok and I can let them play freely together? I'm amazed there has been zero growls and minimal hissing after just 2 days of the Louie being here. Larry's favorite toys are the string looking toys in the picture of him in the door crack. Our whole house is full of cat toys and yet that's his favorite.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Larry is a great cat. He's always by my side, waiting at the door for me when I get home. Is it possible they are ok and I can let them play freely together? I'm amazed there has been zero growls and minimal hissing after just 2 days of the Louie being here. Larry's favorite toys are the string looking toys in the picture of him in the door crack. Our whole house is full of cat toys and yet that's his favorite.
(My cats loved those string toys, too, but now it's ping pong balls.)

I would give it another day, just so you can observe Louie, and make sure he is more comfortable, with his surroundings, and with Larry. Besides, you have everything set-up already, and by watching them both, you'll know when they are both relaxed.

It does sound like they are ready, but then again, you don't want Louie to bother Larry too much, either. And by doing what you are doing with the play sessions, individually and together, and keeping them short,...when the little one starts to get too annoyed, then at least there won't be major tiffs later on.
Larry does sound like a sweetheart, though, so I think it's more that Louie is just getting used to his surroundings and his forever family, now.

It is entirely possible that they would be okay, (just by looking at the photo of Larry near Louie, and Louie looking away).
But no harm in giving it one more day, and watching both of their reactions to each other's movements and scent swapping with bedding. (you might want to make sure to have plenty of vertical surfaces to escape to, as well as boxes and things to play in.)
Sometimes, we rush introductions, and then have to take a few steps back.
So I'd think it's just better to observe them, both, for another day.
(But I absolutely know the feeling, and with kittens, the intro's go much faster.)

kttn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the picture of larry peeking through the crack in the door is cracking me up so hard. what beautiful boys you have :)

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the picture of larry peeking through the crack in the door is cracking me up so hard. what beautiful boys you have :)
Hahahah thank you. Larry is a goofball. I have so many funny pictures of him.

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
(My cats loved those string toys, too, but now it's ping pong balls.)

I would give it another day, just so you can observe Louie, and make sure he is more comfortable, with his surroundings, and with Larry. Besides, you have everything set-up already, and by watching them both, you'll know when they are both relaxed.

It does sound like they are ready, but then again, you don't want Louie to bother Larry too much, either. And by doing what you are doing with the play sessions, individually and together, and keeping them short,...when the little one starts to get too annoyed, then at least there won't be major tiffs later on.
Larry does sound like a sweetheart, though, so I think it's more that Louie is just getting used to his surroundings and his forever family, now.

It is entirely possible that they would be okay, (just by looking at the photo of Larry near Louie, and Louie looking away).
But no harm in giving it one more day, and watching both of their reactions to each other's movements and scent swapping with bedding. (you might want to make sure to have plenty of vertical surfaces to escape to, as well as boxes and things to play in.)
Sometimes, we rush introductions, and then have to take a few steps back.
So I'd think it's just better to observe them, both, for another day.
(But I absolutely know the feeling, and with kittens, the intro's go much faster.)
You're right. I agree. I don't want to rush it!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
That photo is great. :biggrin:
My favourite would still be the 'paw under the door' photo,:crackup: and then I really like the one where Larry is eating by the gate. :)

A ameyers0108 ...You'll probably have Louie climbing the gate, anyhow, and find him out and about, in no time.
His room looks really nice. What is that a huge comfortable dog bed, for a small kitten? :bluepaw:
He looks like he's in the lap of luxury, in there. :thumbsup:

ameyers0108

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That photo is great. :biggrin:
My favourite would still be the 'paw under the door' photo,:crackup: and then I really like the one where Larry is eating by the gate. :)

A ameyers0108 ...You'll probably have Louie climbing the gate, anyhow, and find him out and about, in no time.
His room looks really nice. What is that a huge comfortable dog bed, for a small kitten? :bluepaw:
He looks like he's in the lap of luxury, in there. :thumbsup:
Lol Louie is out and about today. Him and Larry haven't stopped playing with each other. No more hissing. Larry will go into another room and making a different meow to lure Louie to follow him. It's really cute. When I'm unable to watch them together or if I go out I'm going to put Louie back in his room just in case.

Lol the room he's in is an empty bedroom so there's nothing comfy for me to sit on while I'm in there so I took a bunch of pillows and put a soft blanket on top, he is was using it as a bed though lol

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol Louie is out and about today. Him and Larry haven't stopped playing with each other. No more hissing. Larry will go into another room and making a different meow to lure Louie to follow him. It's really cute.
:clap: Technically, I think your Larry and kitten Louie got along well, from day 1, but it's still great the way you set-it-up, and allowed for a safe room, just so the kitten could relax, and so could Larry.

Larry sounds adorable. He's showing the little one, all the best places in the home, already. (like giving him a tour.) ...with that different meow 'calling sound'. :lol:
(Ah, yes, those pillows and blanket look comfortable for both human and kitten/cat, alike.
Very practical to use pillows and throw a blanket on top.)

I still love the way that Larry keeps an eye on Louie, in your photos, (except for when he's eating). :lovecat2:
I wonder if Larry figures it's his job to show the new kitten all the house rules, favourite spots, and how to act...so he does not have to stay in 'kitten jail' too long.:wink: (I do really wonder what our cats think of why we set up baby-gates? They probably figure that the new guy is some sort of 'thief' or something, and have to keep any eye on them, for awhile.):crazy: