New kitten ???

pawlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My older cat Gemma recently went to "cat heaven."  We recently adopted a 5 mo old kitten and was wondering if I could use Gemma's old box or is it necessary to buy a new one.  Also, what about the smell of Gemma around the house?  I can't afford to throw out everything and buy new and she was partial to lying on one couch pillow in particular.  Please help as I bring Pawlee home tomorrow and want it to be a smooth transition.

Thanks.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see why you'd have to throw anything out unless she had a virulent disease, and even then if you disinfected thoroughly it would still probably be OK. Make sure you wash the litterbox very well, of course (nobody wants to use a dirty bathroom!), but other than that nothing special should need to be done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.  Gemma didn't have any diseases but the internet is full of advice; one of which stating that new kittens may think another cat is in the house due to smell.  We were always pretty clean about the litter box (daily changes and monthly washing).  Gemma was an older cat and very mellow and I am apprehensive about having a new "baby" around the house but yet looking forward to the company.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Where did you get your new kitten? From a shelter, a breeder, a friend? Has she been around other cats? There's no reason you have to get rid of Gemma's scent entirely, but you might want to wash the pillow she used.

It would be a good idea to have something that is familiar to the new kitten. Ask the previous owner if you can have a blanket or towel or toy that Pawlee has used. It can be very comforting to a kitten in a new environment.

Congratulations on your new baby! Be sure to post pictures :pix: :clap:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pawlee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her at the animal shelter.  I always said that once Gemma died "no more cats."  Well, that lasted about 4 hours then off to the shelter I went.  I went to look at a 1 yr old that reminded me of Gemma but she wasn't too receptive.  Pawlee is also calico and a polydactyl (5 toes instead of 4) and very playful and energetic which is great for my energetic son.  The shelter is closed today and I am suppose to get her sometime today so getting a friendly reminder is probably out of the question.

Thanks for the help and I'll try to figure out how to post pics.