New Kitten

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old cat name Zoe (just turned one earlier this month...I adopted her on December 1st). She is a very sweet girl; very affectionate and 'lickerful.'

A week ago I brought home a then 7 week old kitten, Isabella. Zoe has been licking Isabella (Issy) and really mothering her well (covering her messes in the litter pan, cleaning her bottom, looking for her when she cries and 'chirping' at her), but then suddenly she gets very rough, biting Issy all over (especially the neck) and making her squeal. Sometimes she will even kick her with her back paws. Issy has not been hurt - I check, and she's not afraid of Zoe and purrs when Zoe licks her but I just don't know what to do about the random biting and roughness.

I have not scolded Zoe or punished her becasue I am not sure if she is just showing dominance and I know that she needs to do that. I just separate them. Sometimes it's like they are playing and then Zoe goes a bit wild.

I keep them separated when I am gone during the day becasue I am not 100% sure I can trust Zoe not to hurt Issy. When I am home they are together.

Zoe is always fed first, held first and given treats first. I try to really 'favor' her so she isn't jealous. Zoe has no problem eating or drinking out of the same dish or using the same litter pan. They get along beautifully except for the roughness. There is no hissing or growling from Zoe or Issy and swatting from Zoe is really dwindling. Issy has never growled or hissed and only swats at Zoe in play. Izzy will sometime lick Zoe while Zoe licks her.

What can I do? Is this roughness normal? Zoe is still practically a kitten so could it just be overzealous play? She is SO much bigger than Issy. I have always had cats but they have always been solo...having two is new to me.

Thank you so much for reading this. Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Megan

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's pretty normal. My kitten was actually the "rough" one and still is. She is always jumping on Hurley and they wrestle. As long as nobody is drawing blood I would leave them be. It's better if they work out their pecking order themselves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Lauren. That's what I was thinking too but I'm a worrywart I guess. I just want them to be happy. Issy doesn't scream or even meow loud and she doesn't even run away. She may take a few paces but she doesn't hide from Zoe. It's just hard to watch, you know?

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Eventually the little one will jump the older one and turn the tables on her. I'm sure they are just rough housing. My little Lilly was such a terror from day one of bringing her home. She was 8 weeks old and made it her mission to be the boss. She kicked the other kitties out of their favorite sleeping spots by biting them till they left and she was actually aggressive with Pandora. Hurley was the only one that would put up with her. Pandora absolutely hated her. It was a nightmare for a while. Eventually they all got used to each other and now Pandora will run up to Lilly, tackle her and run off. It's kind of funny to watch.

Don't worry! They'll be fine!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, normal. It's part of teaching the kitten proper cat manners, so don't interfere. The kitten is just a tiny baby right now, but in a couple weeks she'll be giving as good as she gets! It's great they get along so well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adweena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lauren, I hope so! It is pretty funny to see them playing; I will see Zoe chasing Issy down the hallway, and then immediately see Issy chasing Zoe. It's funny to see a larger cat being chased by a tiny ball of fuff

Willowy, I really do try to keep out of it. I will toss toys their way to distract them sometimes. Mostly though, I just make sure all claws are trimmed to avoid any ouchies. Isabella's little claws are like needles but luckily she doesn't fuss at all when I trim them. I'm glad I get a chance to start earlier with her. Zoe was older when I got her and it is still an struggle to get her to let me trim them. Declawing isn't an option for us though so she usually ends up rolled like a feline burrito while I trim them. She fusses like I am killing her
but she knows there will be copious treats for her when she's done, so she accepts it.

Thanks!
Megan