New Kitten Won't Eat

lil_lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a new kitten a couple of weeks ago, he is 6 1/2 weeks old. He was eating fine the first couple of days of both wet and dry food but as of a week ago now he won't eat anything except for cat treats. I have tried now not giving him anymore cat treats to get him to eat dry and wet food again but he won't. I took him to the vet a couple days after getting him to get his first shots and they would not do the shots because he is under weight. I don't know how to get him to gain weight if he won't eat. I have tried many different kinds of wet and dry food and none have worked. Please help, any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he still needs to be bottle fed? It’s not unusual for kittens that young to not be weaned... get some kmr.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, try with goats milk or kmr.

He is definitely not too old for this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my kitten is now about 8 weeks old, I took him to the vet to get his vaccines and talked to the vet about my kitty not eating. He said eventually he will get hungry and want to eat. This hasn't happened yet but what I did find that works for now is feeding him actual baby food like the chicken with broth or the turkey flavored ones. The vet said this was ok temporarily and to really try and get him to eat regular cat food. I have been trying but with no success yet :cloudy: I hope soon he will start eating regular cat food.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Main thing he eats.
Had you tried with goats milk or kmr?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lil_lisa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Main thing he eats.
Had you tried with goats milk or kmr?

Yes I have tried the KMR but the vet said since he is 8 weeks old he does not need the KMR and really wants me to just keep trying different foods until I find one he will eat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kmr is normally not necessary at this age but its a good way to buy you time if he does take it - or goats milk