New kitten won't eat or drink

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i just got a 9 month old kitten from a rescue yesterday...she will not eat ordrink and is drooling a little. I know she is scared of the new home. what should i do. if i hold her she will purr and sleep in my arms like a baby. this is my mothers account, i am using her computer

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is probably just frightened in the new place and not feeling very hungry.

Keep her in one room for now, so the whole house is not too overwhelming, and make sure she has a cardboard box,or her carrier for a little hideaway cubby hole.

If she doens't eat in the morning, or her condition worsens call your vet. it's always a good idea to have a shelter kitty get a check up with your own vet anyway, most do it for free.

Thank you for adopting from a shelter and congratulations on your new furbaby, what's her name?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ps use the same food she was getting at the shelter for now, and gradually switch her over (if you plan to) once she is more settled.

1crazysavannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im sorry to hear about your kitty not eating. When we got our pound kitty he would not eat either. He had a cold and was very stuffed up, which is very common from the pound. If your kitty can't smell his food he won't eat it. With are cat we were not aware of his cold for a few days until he started sneezing. If you have other cats make sure and keep them seperated until you know he is healthy. The best thing to do is put him in a small room with few objects so he is not overwhelmed. Maybe try some wet food that you heat up in the micro, as that will give off much more scent.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking URI as well. Take some quality canned kitten food and warm it up in the microwave for just a few seconds, put a bit on the tip of your finger, then open the kitten's mouth and put the food on the roof of her mouth. If she swallows it then offer some more and then put the plate in front of her. Don't use a bowl, use a flat plate.

For her water, get a glass bowl and put some marbles, rocks, pebbles, whatever you can on the bottom. Fill it with cool water and set it in the room near her food but not to close.

If she is not eating by 48 hours you need to get her to a vet. She should have already been to a vet and been tested for all the known diseases.

Also check your PM box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurie314

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
shes been tested for all diseases and got a clean bill of health. She is going to the Vet today..she is sneezing ...I was just concerned about the drooling most of all. My apartment is very small, I did put her in my bedroom and she did not like it..she scratched to get out. She has a kitty cube and toys that the rescue gives with all kitties. they give all shots, spay/neuter and micro-chip all kitties. She is considered a tween so she was "on sale". They need room for the upcomming kitten season.

1crazysavannah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well best wishes for your new kitty. i thought it kind of sounded like an upper resperitory infection aka common pound kitty cold. hopefully the kitty will recover fast, it took ours almost two weeks and 400 dollars in vet bills.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feline herpes most likely. Start adding L-Lysine to the food once she starts eating. Be sure there is no propylene glycol in the L-Lysine though- nasty stuff-

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've moved this to the Health section so you will get faster answers to your questions.