New kitten with calicivirus and resident cat... Help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is not the resident cat that is going back to the vet soon, it's the kitten, who was the one who was initially sick. He wanted to check on her progress and everything before I introduced them. So now I'm not sure if I need to make a second appointment for the resident cat (who was just at the vet 2 weeks ago) or if I should just mention what's going on with him (assuming it doesn't get worse) when I go in with the kitten, and then see if he prescribes me something for him as well to take home and start using. I do have an immune system boosting liquid that I was given for the kitten, it is a supplement, not an antibiotic, so maybe I should start giving him some of it with his meals as a system boost? I dunno =/

I first noticed it just a few days ago, but the big problem is, I can't seem to remember if I have been able to see it before in the past -_- though even if it was somewhat visible then it is definitely a bit more-so now. He is still eating well, and drinking, though he has never drank as much water as I'd like him to which is why I try to feed him a good amount of wetfood.

Last edited:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think asking your vet about it is the best idea.  I don't have any experience with 3rd eyelid problems, but I do have one who gets eye problems with (presumed) herpes flare-ups.  My vet has said that you always want to take eye problems seriously.  I'd call the vet, describe the eyelids, and see if they want to see him.  (My vet's office is good about letting me know whether something is important enough to bring them in....hopefully yours is too.) 

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
^Thanks.

I actually just spoke to the vet-tech and they want me to bring him in to check it out, so he will be seen by them on Wednesday. Aiya. It's never-ending! Trying to arrange someone to drive me there so I can bring both him and the kitten in at the same time, since I don't have a car I can really only take one at a time by myself. Smmh.

Last edited:

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, yes that is true, but once you get everyone healthy it won't always be that way.  You are doing everything you can, just take it one step at a time
  Let us know how the visit goes.

Once we got to the root of Rufus' problems, I don't think we will need to go back for another year

Last edited:

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just got home from the vet with Bentley (the resident cat)

We did some blood tests because the third eyelid showing can be an indicator of just about anything, and I will be taking in a poo sample of his soon.

Vet isn't sure if he is actually sick or what and just wants me to keep an eye on it. We did the blood tests just incase because he has never had any blood work done and since I adopted him as an adult and he had been an outdoor stray for a long time before then we thought it would be a good idea. He also thinks it would be a good idea to give him some of the Immuno liquid stuff I had for the kitten so I will start him on that tonight.

Poor baby did not have a fun visit this time around. The thermometer in his butt was bad enough and he hated it, but the blood work was the final straw, mostly when they tried to shave some of his fur off to get it. He went CRAZY from the sound (electric, loud like a vaccum) so they had to draw the blood without shaving the area, and he was hissing and growling and freaking out and trying to bite the vet the whole time. They usually don't let the "cat mom" in the back room when they do that kind of work but they ended up having to call me in because they couldn't keep him calm and he was just mad. I have never seen him so upset but I thought it would be better to just get it done and over with in one visit instead of having to bring him back for it if the eye thing didn't pass on its own. Thankfully he is acting fine now that we are back home and doesn't seem to hate me for it or anything. I on the other hand am pretty close to broke with all these vet visits lately (and quite sick right now myself, waiting on results from my own blood tests too zzzz) but luckily my school term is over mid December so I'll be able to start working again- hoping to get this all over with and that the babies will all be cleared with a clean bill of health after I bring the kitten back in for her final checkup in a few weeks and get the results back for Bentley.

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Well, Bentley's blood work and stool sample came back  normal so we were never able to find out what the third eye showing is about. I  am guessing it is just seasonal/allergen related because he is totally fine otherwise and I am hoping it will pass within the next few weeks, if not another visit might be in order but it doesn't seem to be from any illness so I am trying not to worry about it for now. Bitsy is all done with her antibiotic treatments and I am taking her into the vet for her final check-up tomorrow afternoon, but I'm already pretty positive how  that will go and she will be declared as recovered and in good health

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful pictures.  Aren't two cats playing together 4 times as good as one?  Enjoy the free wrestling matches.  I see two or three or four a day with S&S.

silcha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
amazing story!!!!
Hi I am Silcha from Indonesia.
I am desperate to look for information about calicivirus in cat. 

My 4 month old kitten named Mew is now suffering from calicivirus. It started 4 days ago. he totally would not eat or drink anything at all since saturday. I got to wait till monday. Mew is confirmed to have calicivirus. 
I want to know, how long does it take for the kitten to be fully recovered?
what should I do with the other kitten who likes to play with the sick one? 
my house is very very small, and it is not possible to separate them in different room. my house only has 3 small rooms.
please help me.