New Kitten Too Shy HELP!

mdimi74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

A little bit of background on my situation:  I recently purchased a 8 week old kitten from a breeder, about a month ago. He was sick the day we got him, he had a URI and an eye infection, which we treated right away. We also have one older cat, Smokey, who is 1 year old. I guess my husband and I were to eager for him to have a pal, so we skipped the introduction protocol. I realize now that was a big mistake, but we're new to this. Now he plays with Smokey all the time. It wasn't until last night that he started showing signs of the infection again. Consequently, he wasn't "himself."

However, on any ordinary day he eats, and eats, and eats. I feel like he's always eating and/or drinking water. I change his water about three times daily. He's a bit of a messy eater and I can't stand if his feeding station looks dirty. Plus, I feel like if everything is always as hygienic as possible it will reduce the chances of the infection reoccurring. I'm sure the constant eye and URI infections make him miserable as well. In addition, his bowel movements have been regular. He has no trouble using the litter box. He made himself right at home instantly.

The reason I’m having some trouble with him is he’s not very affectionate, he doesn’t want to be picked up, and only tolerates about two strokes. In the beginning, he seemed like he would be very friendly but shortly after his personality started to change. He’s very timid, deathly afraid of everything, he’d rather sleep on the cold floor than in the bed with you.

I’ve been nothing, but accommodating. I give him clean water, food, and keep his litter box tidy. He has plenty of toys. He’s somewhat playful, but mostly lethargic. He has almost no emotion, very rarely purrs. When you hold him he sits there limply and then squirms to be set free. I don’t know what’s wrong and I’m starting to get worried.

It could be Smokey, our other cat. He’s a little aggressive with him at times, but he’s really grown to love him. He even grooms him! They’re adorable together. However, I think he might terrorize him a little because the baby hides and scrambles away from him, when he’s had enough. Should I keep them apart?

I really love the little button and I’d hate to give him up. My impression was that he would be a lap baby, like my Smokey. Unfortunately, he’s doesn’t want anything to do with me, except for when it involves food. Is there anything I can do to change this?

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has he been to the vet to see if the infection returned? Cats can be moody/emotional when they're sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mdimi74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! Yes, we took him to the vet immediately. He has the same eye infection. Luckily, we still have the antibiotics and eye ointment. Unfortunately, it seems like the two cats keep passing the infection to each other. :(

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would segregate them a little more until the infection goes away. The baby probably feels overwhelmed with everyone wanting attention from him, wanting him to socialize, or "perform" as it were, when he just doesn't feel like it. I would give the little one his own space/room for now, play with him in limited quantities there, and wait for him to totally heal. Fishing pole toys are a great way to play with a cat so that you are interacting without touching him. Then you can pet him to say congratulations when he pounces, and it's great for bonding. You also need to work on brushing his hair, clipping his nails, etc, so he sees you as a caretaker.

mdimi74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help! I will give that a try. I was thinking of separating them before, now even more so because of the infection. I can keep him in a room by himself, with water, food, and litter etc, but I'm worried he might get lonely. I'm at work during the day, so my mother is home with him, but Smokey is there too. I wouldn't really be able to interact with him til after I get home. Would he be okay by himself?

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Remember that he is probably very tired from the sickness anyway. If he wanted to spend all day talking to people, you wouldn't be having this discussion. Make sure he has toys and a comfy place to sit/nap in the room. If he has a window in there, set up a way for him to watch outside. Have your mom check on him once a day around lunch. When he's ready to talk to people more, he will start meowing and following people. 

spursrchamps

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have two kittens we adopted from a shelter in July.  One is extremely cuddly while the other not so much.  Aslan will come and jump on me if im laying on the couch and just lay down and go to sleep after preceding to lick my skin off lol.  Rafter on the other hand is a little more independent and skittish.  What we did was wrap him up in a towel nice and tight and just hold him.  The tightness of the towel seemed to make him feel secure and we would do this for about 5 minutes at a time.  Now three months later, Rafter is still more independent, but he rarely if ever sleeps anywhere where he can't see my wife and I, and every once and a while he will jump up and lay by us.  One thing he does love but never seeks out is to be cradled like a baby.  If I notice he hasn't been around me or Aslan much some days, ill wait for him to lay down and go pick him up and just pet him on the stomach.  He usually stays like that for a few minutes (sometimes even falls asleep) then has enough, but he rarely ever seeks it out.

mdimi74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I guess every cat has it's own mannerisms and personality. Smokey is a very loving cat. Oftentimes, he'll come right up and sit directly on your face! He's also a very vocal cat and almost "talks" to you. The baby is the total opposite. He hides, hates to be held, and shies away from affection unless it involves a treat. I just feel like I have exhausted most of my options. The other problem is I have no idea how he was treated at the breeders house, but I assume he was with other kittens. He might of had limited contact with humans. He acts like he was battered or something.

vbcatparent

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@mdimi74  you are not the first person to come to this site with complaints about a breeder kitten who only saw humans as a food supplier. Breeders don't always take better care of them than a shelter, and in some cases it can be worse because the cat never learns human behavior.

He will eventually realize that petting and belly rubs are nice. He will also eventually realize that it's nice to have a "mommy" who keeps him clean. However, he won't realize that overnight.

mdimi74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, this is definitely a learning experience. I had no clue. I thought it would have been easier. Smokey was a stray that my friend found on a doorstep. He was only 5-6 weeks old when we got him. Maybe he was even younger. You couldn't even really tell what his gender was yet. Ultimately, I will have to be patient with this new, little one. It will take time and effort I'm sure.

He's an exotic shorthair.... I'm sure you can see why we always want to attempt to hold him. haha!