New Kitten, Sulky Cat

novack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I had a 11 month old male cay, not neutered. He was playful, loud and needy - which was sometimes adorable, sometimes annoying. We ended up getting a female baby, 4 months old, fixed. We introduced them way faster than appropriate but except some hissing from the baby girl, it went fine. They play together and bathe each other (He especially bathes her) and there has been no issue between them.

Except, our big boy has been sulking. He would play with the kitten but will ignore us completely. He doesn't even come running when we shake his favorite treats bag. He made no display of aggressiveness, he just ain't talking to us. It makes me sad as we brought a kitten mostly to keep him company when we aren't home. She keeps him company alright but it's been two weeks and I miss my hyper, needy kitty.

Any thoughts?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he is not acting any different other than ignoring YOU HUMANS, then it sounds like sort of a behavioral issue, not a health issue although this may just be your "baby" growing up. 

Is he in any way lethargic, not eating, or drinking less, not peeing or pooping? 

BTW, is there any reason why he is not neutered?  You are not letting him outside are you?  Tom's can end up getting in fights, etc., not to mentions, impregnating un-spade females
  . Statistics show that neutered males are much more loving than spayed females, and actually, the younger they are neutered, the more loving they are.  My boys were both  neutered at around 8 weeks, and they are both little lovebugs...much more than my female.  One of my  males is like a velcro strip
(yes, sometimes very annoying
, but it'd sure  miss him if he weren't around ) 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't say your boy is sulking - just that his new girlfriend means that he's far less dependant on you for attention. Sometimes cats can become far more self sufficient if they really bond strongly to another cat. He may get more affectionate with you again once the novelty wears off a bit. Just be happy his new friend worked out so well :)

As a side note, please do get your boy neutered - he'll be healthier and happier for it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well he isn't playing with her anymore. All of a sudden, he is just ignoring all of us. He poops and pees and eats but doesn't play anymore. At all. I am super worried. He just doesn't seem to care for anything anymore... i dont know what to do.

He wasnt neutered because he was kind of a rescue. By the time I had gotten him back in shape I was kinda broke. He will get neutered, although he is an indoors cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

novack

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help, it's really making me worried :(

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I honestly think you should start by getting him neutered.  Unneutered male cats are at the mercy of their hormones.  Life is about sex and defending territory, and he doesn't have an outlet for either of those things. It's also highly likely that he will try to mate with your female, even though she's been spayed.

Cats' personalities can change dramatically from kittenhood to adulthood if they have not been fixed, and I think that is what has happened with your boy.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I honestly don't think you've anything to worry about. Hormones or simply growing up are the most likely causes for his behaviour changes.