new kitten, some issues

laurel hoff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So two days ago I rescued a stray kitten (I named him Casper) and he's about 16 weeks old, as I was told. He hasn't been to the vet quite yet, but I'm going to take him because I know he was exposed to all sorts of things (including the horrendous amount of fleas that we successfully purged from him).

He's such a sweetheart and he's already bonded to me. 

Some things I noticed is that, for one, he's very vocal. I'm not sure if it's because he's constantly demanding my attention or he's looking for the other stray cats he lived with. 

The first day we brought him home we fed him a little too much and he was already bloated. He woke me up in the middle of the night because he had thrown up and left a puddle of clear fluid (which I assume came from his mouth because it didn't smell like pee at all).

Last night I slept a lot better, but woke up to a little pee spot next to me where he was sleeping that night. He's already been using the litterbox quite consistently and his only other accident was when I took him into the bathroom with me and he pooped in the bathtub randomly. Otherwise, he's gotten the hang of the litterbox. 

Now I'm concerned that he could have a UTI. I noticed sometimes he meows a little before he pees, but this might just be because he's very vocal. He meows a little after he pees as well. He doesn't pee a ton, but when he does it's usually not a huge spot. 

I really should take him to the vet, but I worry it's gonna be way too expensive just to get him checked for a UTI...I saw some at home test kits on amazon, so I wonder if maybe that would work??

Yes, he still needs shots and whatnot. We're planning to take him to the Vetco clinic instead of the vet itself because we have a tight budget.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know money is tight, but he really does need a thorough vet check - the basic rule of thumb is to get any stray you take in checked over asap. They can have all kinds of issues from living rough.

Casper will need worming (which you must speak to a vet about - not all wormers are safe for kittens his age) and checking for ear mites as well as his vaccinations. He ought to have bloodwork done too - fleas can cause anaemia in small kittens, and I would always test for FIV and FeLV too. A UTI is unlikely at his age, but not impossible, and definitely something you want to rule out. Remember, any health problems are cheaper to treat the earlier they're diagnosed.

It's wonderful that you've taken this little guy in and are giving him a forever home. He's lucky to have found you :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laurel hoff

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, thank you :)

I've been using HomeoPet Dewormer on him just in case he has worms. No idea if it will definitely work, considering it had mixed reviews, but I'm trying it.

What other stuff could he have from being a stray, even as a kitten? Just so I can be cautious. He was also around many other cats where he lived, so he could have been exposed to a lot.

My parents have always had cats, but they were indoor/outdoor cats and they barely ever took them to the vet or got them vaccinated because they never wanted to spend the money. Now I have my own cat and I can't afford it yet and my mom said it will have to wait till the end of the month when she gets paid. I just hope he's fine until then. 

Yeah, he was actually one of many cats that were living in and out of this woman's house. The house was littered with garbage for one thing, and no one seemed to be doing anything about the cats..just giving them food and water once and a while. My dad called animal control but the woman never got back to us. I just hope the other cats are okay because they were flea ridden, skinny as hell, and some were quite sickly. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
[article="29716"][/article]
This article covers most of the basic things to look out for. I would also want to check if he has Feline Herpes Virus. Given that he's come from such a bad environment, its particularly important to get a thorough health check done. It will take a little time to get him fit and strong, but the love and joy he'll bring you will more than repay your efforts. Thank you for rescuing this little guy.