New kitten(s)? 1 or 2?

jayda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been considering getting a kitten or two lately, and am hoping to do so in the next few weeks. Anyway, I do work full time and I was somewhat worried about a single kitten getting lonely while I was gone, and started considering adopting a pair of kittens. I have the financial means to take care of a whole littler if I were able to, but there is a number restriction where I live, so I can't have more than two new additions.

Anyway, my concern is primarily for the kitten, as I want to give it/them a happy, healthy, home. Due to this I am somewhat worried about my kitten getting lonely while I'm away at work and wanted a possible companion to keep them company while I'm gone. On the other hand, I worry that by getting a pair of kittens I may face difficulties in bonding with my kitten(s) due to the fact that they may bond to each other and not me.

So, what do you think? Should I just get the one and form a close bond with it, or should I get a pair?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really up to you.  Most people like to have 2 kittens because they do have a lot of energy and they can wear eachother out instead of getting on your nerves.  But, they rationalize (falsely, I might say) that the kittens won't bond with them and trusts them.  If a cat is distant with you and not a big cuddler, it is not because of another cat.  Some cats are just like people in the aspect that they have different personalities and cuddle preferences. 

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a pair. Kittens do so well in pairs. They will keep each other company and will be great playmates for each other. Don't worry about them not bonding to you they both will.

riccadawn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We got (found) one and then ended up getting another one from the shelter about a month later so she had someone to play with. If I had to do it over, I'd probably get 2 at the same time. (Obviously that wasn't an option for us at the time since we found River as a stray.)

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you have to think about it in the long run, two kittens, as cute as they are, will grow into two cats, two completely different cats, with different personalities, behaviors, and needs.

will you be able to handle that?

one kitten will get into enough trouble, two kittens are very much double trouble, will you be able to handle that?

the kitten stage lasts well into the first year, with around 4-9 months being the worse stage for getting  into things.

most of all, just because the kittens would get along when they are babies, as they get older, and the hormones start running through their cute little blood streams, they may end up becoming intolerant of one another.

I have three cats, two of which are sisters, a little over a year old that I found as stray kittens, they just now got out of the major playing phase of their lives, and are now more content to lay around and sleep, but they barely interact anymore, beyond occasional arguments.

they are both completely different personality wise as well, I got extremely lucky, because as far as kittens go, they were not bad.

my other cat, who is just now going on about 5 months old, has been HORRIBLE, she's a constant pain in the neck, and I regularly thing about getting another kitten for her to play with because she refuses to get along with the other girls, but right now I couldn't handle four cats

those are things you have to think about

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 kittens are generally better than 1, they settle into the home quickly and keep each other entertained. As already said don't worry at all about them not bonding with you, they will.
as they get older, and the hormones start running through their cute little blood streams, they may end up becoming intolerant of one another.
Getting them spayed/neutered stops any hormonal activity.  And if from a shelter or breeder they'll have all the vet work done before adoption, so nothing for you to worry about. 

Last edited:

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I at the moment have 2 kittens running riot upstairs 
 they are really enjoying playing with each other and wearing each other out, but when I go up to them they are just as happy to play with and get cuddles from me so I dont think the bonding will be a problem. As you say you can afford to look after 2 then I would go for 2 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sugarand Spice are about 10 months old or so, and they play with each other and the other three cats all day (when they are not sleeping)  Silly is 12, Sheba is 5 1/2 and Julie is almost 5.  Sometimes I have a freight train through the house when thay all play chase.  Two kittens are better than one, and four or five is even better.  I am on disability and sometimes it gets close, but I can always come up with enough to provide for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jayda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I understand the lifelong commitment, I have 3 older cats right now as well, two 20+ year old female cats and a 16 year old male. The spay/neuter issue won't be a problem, as I'll be adopting them from the animal shelter, so they will have already been taken care of, not to mention every animal I own gets fixed. I was just questioning it since I've heard both sides, that you want the kittens to bond with you and not another cat, and the other side, where the kittens will bond with you no matter what. Anyway, it definitely sounds like a pair of kittens will work out well!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know I'm late but I'll add my
.  My girls are litter-mates and were adopted when they were about 10 weeks old.  (They are 7 now.)  I found having 2 kittens so much easier than having one.  They would snuggle and play with each other.  They would cry when they couldn't find the other one in the room.  It was SOO adorable!  It seemed to me that they got into less mischief because they played with each other.  I had no problems with them bonding with me.  They'd both be in my lap at the same time.  As they have grown and shown their personalities it worked out well.  Noodles prefers to come to me for her lovings, on her terms.  Mooch demands her lovings almost constantly.  I can't really say that we had any bad experience when it came to getting 2 kittens together.  Aside from the spaying costs; which you aren't concerned about, it was a very easy process for me.