New kitten pooping IN food bowl . ( instead of litter box)

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted my new kitten , at the begining of this month , so now i have clover , albus + minnie.
But , my new kitten clover , i've had her for a week but thursday morning , she decided to poop in her food bowl.
She's 12 weeks.
Bought a new one , but i'm not sure what to do about it though.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the other cats are preventing/scaring her from using the regular litterbox? If you have only had her a week, there could be some heirarchy issues here going on, and the other cats are scaring her. Make sure she has a secluded litter box, they can't guard them all. Cats absolutely hate change and you have a lot going on there. An intruder that your other cats have to deal with, and Clover is stressed by the change in her home and the strange cats that are there. Even if she doesn't appear to be, cats hide stress very well. She desperately had to go and went in the bowl because it was handy. She, being a kitten, also may have waited too long and couldn't make it to the box, or even is trying to 'claim' teh bowl as her own. For a while you may want to have a bowl for each out. she is a baby and is new, she may be confused about things right now. i think when she has been there a while and everything settles down she will be fine. Watch for the others paying too much attention to her, maybe carry her to the litterbox after meals a few times, and above all just remain calm and make her feel welcome and loved. Also maybe give a little more attention to the others. Give all treats to foster good feelings, it WILL get better, i've had cats do this in the past and then never again.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Kittens can get the idea of using a litterbox, but be confused about what's a litter box and what's not. I've seen kittens use dust pans, food bowls, laundry baskets, or empty plastic storage receptacles simply because they have the right general shape and are nearby. Make sure possible alternatives aren't left sitting out, and she'll catch on pretty quickly.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! In addition to everyone's suggestions/ideas above, did the bowl have food in it or was it empty? If it was empty, you might want to try to keep just a bit of food in it at all times while you are going through this. It might stop Clover from wanting to poop in the bowl if there is actually some food in it.