New Kitten Peeing On The Sofa

arya'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i got a friendly 4 month old kitten 2 weeks ago. She is a doll faced persian and is very playful and adorable. She is liter trained but the issue is that in the 2 weeks she has been here she peed on my mom's sofa twice, and that too in the same spot. I clean her liter box twice or thrice a day. The liter box is located in an open area and i sometimes even carry her and put her in the litter box when i see her sniffing around or i feel like its been a while since she went.
I sprayed around the couch with vinegar and kept a close eye on her whenever she is in my mom's room after the first event. all was well for a week but a few days later she peed again. no one has seen her pee on both occasions. Now my mom has given me an ultimatum that if she pees outside her litter box again my mom won't let her inside her room and maybe not keep her. we live in a tropical area so its the summer nowadays and the a.c is on in my mom's room.
The second time she peed on the sofa the door was wide open of that room but yet she chose to pee on it.
sometimes i notice my kitten just sitting or doing nothing and when i put her in her litter box she uses it. it seems like she waits until its urgent and then she goes.
i dont know why. i use unscented litter, i keep the area accessible and clean.
i have taken her to the vet thrice for her shots, deworming and ear cleaning. the vet told me to hit her lightly on the nose with a rolled sheet of paper if i catch her peeing outside the litter box.
what should i do?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Did your vet run a urinalysis to check for a UTI, crystals, and high urine pH? It's always best to rule out any potential medical issues before trying to figure out behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arya'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the vet gave her a thorough check up but she did not take any samples. she said they were unnecessary as the kitten only peed outside the litter box twice and if there was a medical concern it would be much more frequent and that cat urine is pungent so i would be able to smell if she pees somewhere else.
she said that its probably related to adjusting issues but i should smack her lightly on the nose and scold her if i catch her in the act.

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can be finicky with their litter preferences. Try experimenting with litter levels or types to see if there are any that she has a preference for. I have one cat that prefers coarser sand and one who does not like deep litter. Also maybe get another box to put in a different area so she has options to choose from. Always make sure the litter is kept clean and odor-free, too!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You need a good enzyme cleaner for the sofa. Vinegar will only do that much and it won't help much. You need to let the enzyme cleaner to soak through the sofa else the smell of the urine will still be there. After that, wash the cushion and sun it real dry if you can.

You may also place another litter box nearer to the sofa. Sometimes young cats cannot hold their urine to make it to the usual litter box.

arya'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats can be finicky with their litter preferences. Try experimenting with litter levels or types to see if there are any that she has a preference for. I have one cat that prefers coarser sand and one who does not like deep litter. Also maybe get another box to put in a different area so she has options to choose from. Always make sure the litter is kept clean and odor-free, too!
i doo. I clean the liter the very instant i see there is any excrement and i bought odor less liter.
i will try experimenting with liter :) thank you

arya'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You need a good enzyme cleaner for the sofa. Vinegar will only do that much and it won't help much. You need to let the enzyme cleaner to soak through the sofa else the smell of the urine will still be there. After that, wash the cushion and sun it real dry if you can.

You may also place another litter box nearer to the sofa. Sometimes young cats cannot hold their urine to make it to the usual litter box.
i have tried finding an enzymatic cleaner but i dont know what to look for. the department store people have no clue. and the cushion is attached to the sofa. the sofa is too big to move outside.
i cant leave her alone any where because i am constantly afraid she will pee

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think general big box stores like WalMart and the like have a very good selection of pet cleaning items. You need to go to a pet store. Do you have a Petco or Petsmart or other pet store in your area? An indepenent non chain pet store is fine. Online pet stores like Chewy.com, ZooPlus, and even Amazon sell pet cleaning products.

Nature's Miracle is a popular brand of enzymatic cleaner for all sorts of pet messes Cat Stain and Odor Removers | Nature's Miracle Many pet stores carry this brand in several diferent formulas. Other brands will work just as well.