New kitten - peeing on couch - HELP!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandie -

Thanks so much for your reply. I feel a lot better. Hopefully he will outgrow the breathing problem, but I will have the vet perform an x-ray when he gets neutered if it still persists. Good to know that it is probably common. You are right about pet stores. He had worms, fleas and a kennel cough when we got him, so I can only guess that he was not as cared for as he could have been if he came from a breeder. He also has a testicle that has not dropped. It is receided. If it does not drop by the time he gets neutered, they have to perform another operation at the same time to get the testicle out. This little guy is costing me a fortune already!!! What we go through for our furry creatures!!!

He doesn't vomit all the time, but he does when he eats like a little piggy. Which he definitely is. (He'll eat anything if we give it to him, which we don't) I will consider changing the food though if it persists.

The vet is not insisting that he get declawed or anything, it just kind of bugged me that she didn't think it was a big deal. Maybe its not, but I still don't want to do it. She'll do anything we want though. Anyway, I am so relieved to know that none of these problems may be of great concern. At least I hope not. Like I said, after my problems with Norty, I am pretty paranoid about everything. He is a happy little guy though and he plays and plays. He doesn't seem to be bothered by anything!

One more thing... I haven't had a kitten in many years. Jinxy does not seem at all sensitive on the side of his head where cats usually rub on anything and everything to mark their teritory and where they usually like to be petted. Is this something they grow into? Norty was really into it, loved to be petted there and would rub his face on everything. Anything to be concerned about??

I just love this site! People are so nice and helpful. I don't know what I would do without it! Thanks so much!

-Jacquie

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jacquie, thanks for flagging my with the Reply thread. I moved it over here just incase others wanted to follow the whole story. Hope thats okay with you.
You know, kittens can be funny in these sorts of ways. I will bet that over time (age) he will start to really appreciate the rubs. Most kittens are usually to busy to enjoy these simple pleasures. I find a lot of people asking "why is my kitten as loving as my other cat". Well, if you think about it kittens have their own adgenda of exploring and playing. It takes too much time out of their busy schedule to sit with you. That is until they are tired and need a warm place to curl up..hehe.
I am glad you are a little more relieved. I agree, more people need to be this concerned. Persians however along with some other "bought cats" can have problems all the money in the world will not fix right away. Of course you need to watch for red flags like runny stool all the time, not eating, not drinking, puss or green discharge from the eyes etc. I am sure he will be just fine. With the vomit, try to give him smaller portions throught the day, it may help him to slow down and have it come right back up

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandie -

No, I don't mind that you moved the thread, but I was a little confused. I thought I screwed up!!

One more question... About the food thing. The bag of Iams says to give the kitty @ 1/2 to 3/4 of food at his age. I give him about 1/2 cup in the morning and leave it out all day with his water, of course. Is this not correct? Should I give him a small increment in the morning and then another in the evening? I'm just not sure what the correct thing to do here is.
Perhaps he is just gorging himself because he eats all day long? What is the correct proceedure?

-Jacquie

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heck, they are all a little different. If he is gorging (which they do) then I would take the half cup and split it into 2 or 3 meals a day. If you are home you can do this, if you work then the 2 times a day is fine. He will get the same amount, just not all at once. Its a little easier to digest this way too. Of course he may get more nutrition as well because it's not ending up on the floor..LOL

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see, I did scew up and you moved it back, right? Thanks for that, I didn't mean to post a whole new thread. Accident!

Great idea. I didn't even think of that until today. I always gave Norty his dry food once in the morning and it lasted all day. But I also used to give him a can of wet food. Half in the morning and half at night.

Starting tomorrow I will start to split Jinxy's food twice a day and see if it makes a different. Couldn't hurt, right? Thanks for making realize this obvious possible solution!

-Jacquie

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Jacquie :angel2:

It's so good to hear that you and Jinxy are getting some great advice. I can't wait to see a pic of this little guy...I love silver persions...I used to have one when I was sixteen. Her name was Free...I got her for free...:laughing2...but...the rest of the story is not a great one...so, I'll leave it at that. Jacquie, his diet seems just like my cats...they will eat and gorge! I do think they all will do that! :LOL: Not to worry sweets
Hopefully my computer will be fixed today...this is as slow as a bad date!

Love, Peace &

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Catarina,

I would love to give you a pic of Jinxy, but I do not have a scanner!!! Just picture the cutest kitten you have ever seen!!
:angel2:

-Jacquie

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dear Jacquie......:angel2:

Awwwww...you have some beautiful kitty! I can't wait to share some photos...I can't do it on this computer :laughing2 it'd be faster to mail them to ya! hahaha :LOL: My computer tech just called! Such a sweet person, he told me I might get it back tonite...sigh.....(whew!)

Love, Peace &

jacquiefaith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not a bad idea really, mailing the pics since I don't have a scanner. Would love you to E me pics when your computer is up of any and all critters that live with you!!!

Jinxy, by the way has not peed on the couch in a while already. I think he just "gets" the litter box concept now. I hope so. He still breaths heavily and has a nose whistle. The meds don't seem to help. After listening to people on this site, I have come to the conclusion that Perians have this problem and he will probably grow out of it. I'll still check it out again with the vet next time I go though just in case!!
:daisy:

Anyway, I am so in love with this little guy I can't even describe it! He sleeps cuddled up with me every night and gives me kisses!!! He is the cutest thing!! He is still small, does not have a pushed in face, he is a doll faced Persian and his coloring is amazing. He is the perfect combination of gray and white which really does look silver and his little face is too die for!!!

I can't wait to leave work so I can see him!!!!

-Jacquie