New Kitten Owner, Have Some Questions

weresquid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I joined this forum a few years ago when I was a high school student asking questions about my parent's cats.  However, I am now lucky to be a senior in college in an apartment with kitties of my own.  My signifigant other and I have been living in our apartment for about half a year now.  Our eldest, a male neutered black cat named Blackie who is three years old (also vaccinated), has been living there for about 4 months.  I adopted him as a stray last winter and kept him with my parents until I moved out with him this year. 

This weekend we came across a stray kitten in our apartment complex who didn't have any owners and we have seen running around before.  She decided that she wouldn't leave us alone and my boyfriend was immedietaly smitten with her.  After a trip to the vet confirming she was three months old, female, had no microchips, and wasn't sick we decided to adopt her into our little family.

We kept her isolated for the very first day, trying the feedings through our bedroom door with the older cat and having her use a blanket to rub her smell on.  A few hisses from Blackie, but all seemed well.  She used the litter box we got her immediately, but her feces seems runny or "soft serve" and brown.  I wasn't sure what healthy kitten poop is supposed to look like.  Right now it's more "soft serve," but Saturday it was very watery.  She does seem to bury it along with her pee.  I have her eatting Blue Buffalo Kitten food 3 times a day (very small amount, she hasn't been overeating) along with probably a teaspoon of wet Friskies food twice a day when Blackie has breakfast and dinner.

Sunday Blackie seemed okay with her, so I let her run around the apartment outside the safe room.  He seems to not mind her much, with no posturing or ears laid back, until she jumps or chases at him when she is playful.  He will give a warning hiss, but doesn't seem to want to cause her any harm.  They even slept together on the same blanket last night.  Other than my concerns about her feces, I was curious if her chasing him all the time will stress him out too much?  Other than when she is directly in his face, he seems to like her and want to sniff noses with her a lot.  I don't know if this is because I didn't follow the introduction process slowly enough or if this will always bother him because of kitten hyperactivity.  We put her up in the safe room when we are at work or classes, since I only want her running around with him while supervised.

Thoughts?  Thanks.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome back to TCS! Thanks for adopting these stray kitties. It sound like the introductions went well, and Blackie is adjusting to the kitten. Her kittenish antics will probably annoy him, but it sounds like he is letting her know when he's had enough. She will eventually grow out of it, so I think as long as Blackie seems to be tolerating the kitten most of the time, it's all going to be just fine in the end.

As for her soft stools, there are two very likely causes. One is parasites, which is very common in kittens born to outside moms. Was she dewormed at the vet's? It generally requires two treatments several weeks apart to be effective. The other likely cause is rapid food change, especially of dry food. Wet food is much better for all cats/kittens (http://www.catinfo.org/ for info written by a vet on why), so if you can feed more wet, that would be a good thing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with Vball91.  The intro seems to have gone excellently although short, they will soon be good friends.

What Im wondering about, is, Im sure she got dewormers and deparasiting at the vet, but Im not sure it is clear already...  I myself would wait a little longer.   And as mentioned above, you will prob need to make deworming / defleasing again in several weeks.  Unless vet gave something where one dose is enough.   I expect he explained this.

Blackie is himself ex-stray, so he is surely of robust health.  If he were weakish, he wouldnt make it his time as homeless.   So, save the danger of worms, there shouldnt be any other dangers, and thus, no need for long quarantine.

Tx for helping these two!

Continue to report and ask.

Good luck!

Last edited:

catman8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems that the two kittens did hit it off well and the small hissing is not a problem as they will tend to find their roles in the nee house hold.
My 3 kittens had the lose stool problem too other then that was 100 %healthy. Vet told me to add abit of organic olive oil to their food. So that might work too. It did not in my case so the other thing you might want to look it is water. That was my problem. I was useing bottle water cu it is healthy. So I started useing tap water and the kittens stool become normal. I try the bottle water again and soft stool.
You did not mention what you were giving your cats to drink do I thought Iwould throw that out their seeming what you stated dose seem happy and heathy cats.
Ask vet about olive oil before you use it though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weresquid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Little black kitties always seem to get dumped around Halloween.  I adopted Blackie around this time last year too. 

Cibo (pronounced "See Bow;" it's from a manga) is actually a Tuxedo cat though.  She's very cute, although my baby Blackie is still very cute too though~

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on the new fur baby. I love black and white tuxedos. His body needs to grow some and catch up with his head and ears. He is just adorable.:lol3: