New Kitten or No New Kitten?

katkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a four year old little girl named Katkat who i've always thought was very territorial. She was a feral adopted off the streets and have always been a spoiled only-cat since.

Lately, we've been wanting to adopt another cat, and the staff at the sanctuary suggested a male kitten might be best suited for us since our female cat is less likely to be hostile toward a male kitten. So we picked out a kitten, rubbed his fur all over a clean towel, and brought it back to KatKat to see how she would react to it. To everyone's surprise, including the lady at the sanctuary, Katkat went to the towel immediately and started rubbing her nose in it and rolling around in it. It's been six hours since we brought the towel home, and she has yet to leave it. It almost seems like she refuses to leave that towel. She didn't even want to play today or go on her tree.

What does this mean? Should I adopt that little kitten? Would Katkat want him and like him? Or would she still be hostile toward him?

Please help me, any advice would be welcome. I don't know what to do!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I can't say that is a bad sign. You never know until you try. All cats are different. But, IMO, the signs look pretty good. Introduce with plenty of supervision and go slow. If there is a problem, don't be discouraged. Some of the best kitty friends started out at odds with eachother. Good for you for adopting!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fiona was two when I adopted ReeRee who was 3 months old. She was a cat who fended for herself alot when she was a stray. I was concerned also how she would adapt to another cat. But she also tended to meow alot and it made me wonder if she was lonely. After I got ReeRee she no longer meowed incessantly. She was immediately FASCINATED by him. She would sit and watch him all the time. She than became Momma.
She would pin him down and clean him. He would suckle her paws while she cleaned his head.
He still does that!
She has a wrestling partner and someone to chase her (which she loves being chased). He was a small cat so she didn't feel intimitated by his size.

I say go for it!