New Kitten, Older Cat Won't Eat

Flopi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! Yesterday i brought a ragdoll kitten home. I also own a nine year old siamese. My older cat keeps complaining and Making noises everytime she sees the kitten or we touch her. My worry is that she's not eating, drinking water or using the litter box since yesterday :(
The new kitten has absolutely no problem, she tries to approach but older One won't let her. Any advice? My apartament is too small to split them in separate rooms, and yet if I could, baby gardoll will meow a lot and make the siamese very stressed. I'm wondering whether it was a bad idea bringing the new kitten :( thank you people!!!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats are territorial by nature, so introductions take time and patience. Your older cat not eating is likely caused by stress. Keeping cats in separate rooms really is an important step in the introduction process, so I'd highly recommend that you figure out a way to make that work. Do you have a bedroom you can put the kitten in? Make sure that both cats have access to plenty of toys in their own space, and spend time with each, to prevent them from becoming lonely. You can also try a Feliway diffuser to calm both cats down. I'll attach an article that explains the introduction process in detail: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Flopi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are territorial by nature, so introductions take time and patience. Your older cat not eating is likely caused by stress. Keeping cats in separate rooms really is an important step in the introduction process, so I'd highly recommend that you figure out a way to make that work. Do you have a bedroom you can put the kitten in? Make sure that both cats have access to plenty of toys in their own space, and spend time with each, to prevent them from becoming lonely. You can also try a Feliway diffuser to calm both cats down. I'll attach an article that explains the introduction process in detail: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Thanks abyeb, I'll have no choice but to try. I now ley them separate, I'll muy more toys for the little one, as the older one wouldn't play on her own. I'll try the difuser as well, many people has recommended it. Have you used it yourself? I've seen it comes in spray or collars

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks abyeb, I'll have no choice but to try. I now ley them separate, I'll muy more toys for the little one, as the older one wouldn't play on her own. I'll try the difuser as well, many people has recommended it. Have you used it yourself? I've seen it comes in spray or collars
I've never seen Feliway in collars, only sprays and diffusers. I've never had to use Feliway myself, but only because I have an only cat who is very chill, but I've heard good things about it from other cat owners, which is why I reccommend it. A friend of mine with a two cat household uses the diffuser, and a breeder friend of mine uses the spray in her cats' show shelter, so I think the kind you use depends on the size of your space. So for a whole room, I think the diffuser would work better, although you could always use the spray on your cats' items (toys, cat trees, beds, etc.)