New kitten not eating… worried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bellmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I’m new here! I just brought home a new kitten Thursday evening. He’s a 10wk old rescue. His name is Bailey. I have him in a half bath with everything he needs. He ate a little for me yesterday but today he’s not eating. He is drinking though. I have dry kitten food and wet up there and he won’t touch it. I tried adding a little water to the dry food and warming up the wet food. He’s slept all day except when I’m holding him. He has been using the litter box. He’s vomited water a few times. Will he eat when he’s hungry? What can I do? I’m so worried! 🥺 (picture is from earlier today)
34D53306-FDAF-4592-95D0-AE916BDFF9A8.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is not unusual. He is scared to death. He has been removed from his mom and siblings, or from whomever he spent the last few weeks with, and with whom he had grown accustomed to. He’s in a whole new environment with a new person (you!) and he is very upset.

Hold him close, speak softly, feed him wet food from your finger, and give him time. He will bond with you soon; he just needs time.

Before long, he will forget his past and be your best buddy!

He’s adorable! Keep us posted!

B Bellmom

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bellmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m heartbroken. I woke up at 2am feeling like something was wrong. I went to him and he was laying on his side fighting to breathe. He had soiled himself where he was laying. I bundled him up in a towel, called the emergency vet and we left but he passed before I got there. 😭😭 I feel terrible like this is my fault.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m heartbroken. I woke up at 2am feeling like something was wrong. I went to him and he was laying on his side fighting to breathe. He had soiled himself where he was laying. I bundled him up in a towel, called the emergency vet and we left but he passed before I got there. 😭😭 I feel terrible like this is my fault.
No, not your fault. Its not unusual a dormant, sleeping infection burst open when they change milieu because of the new stresses. For example, when they get adopted from a shelter or even from a breeder.
Its usually not that bad, so the advice of letting him be comfortably etc, is the sound advice here.

You and Bailey had maximal unluck.... Im sorry.

Its why Life is a so precious gift. The border to death is sometimes very thin. :(

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry B Bellmom

With young kittens these things sometimes happen and there is nothing we can do about it. If he hadn't been fully vaccinated or if his mother hadn't been fully vaccinated he would have been very vulnerable to all kinds of infections and diseases. Sometimes even very healthy looking kittens that have never left the house pass away suddenly like this.

It's very unfortunate, but it's unlikely that there was you could have prevented with a kitten you'd only had for a few days. If you're still in touch with whoever you got the kitten from please let them know what happened. Any other kittens from his litter should be checked over by a vet, just in case.

We always lock the threads when someone loses a cat, so I'll lock this one now. You can start a thread in Baily's memory in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Rest in peace little one.

Status
Not open for further replies.