New Kitten not drinking water

Newcatmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

we have just got a new kitten 2 days ago.We didn’t realise she was so small! Once we got home we asked the family to confirm the age and she’s just short of 7 weeks

we got the food she was eating and she isn’t having it, the only thing she will have is tuna, Iv tried all other flavours she just sniffs it and moves away. The tuna she will have a few mouthfuls off, she has had less than 1 pouch of felix in 24 hours. Won’t eat dry foods. Will not drink water.

iv tried changing bowls putting water and food seperate and together nothing is helping.

im not even sure how much food she should be eating in a day?

any advice and suggestions welcome 🤗

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor kitten is too young to be away from its mom. He was probably still nursing, but he is old enough to eat wet food and kitten chow. He’s also scared, so it will take a little time.

In the meantime, buy kitten chow, kitten milk formula (not treat milk), and pate style wet food such as Fancy Feast classic chicken pate. You can even moisten his dry food for now with a bit of the kitten formula (PetAg is a good brand.) But give him formula to lap from a low dish for now — as much as he wants to get him going.

We’d love a picture of him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Newcatmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response, can I ask what is kitten chow? sorry Iv never had cat before

i went to the local pet shop they didn’t have the formula, I will try I different one now.
My mum has a boy from the same litter and he is eating and drinking 4 times more thsn
Do you know how much she should be eating ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kitten chow is dry cat food that is smaller-sized pieces than adult dry food. However, you can still moisten adult pieces with water until you find kitten formula. You can also use full fat goat milk if you cannot find actual formula. A vet may sell formula, but goat milk is excellent for kittens also.

It’s good she has her brother with her. It will help her to relax. She sounds shy, but should adapt in the coming weeks. He sounds like he is doing well!

Do plan to spay and neuter both kittens before they are 6 months old, as the brother can impregnate his sister at an early age, which is not good.

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t think they are necessarily living together, she just said her mum had one from the litter too.

Also a note to the owner, I would avoid Felix at all costs. It’s very bad for them and I’ve often heard once they’re on it people have struggled to get their cat to eat anything else as it’s very addictive like junk food. So it’s probably a good thing she’s wanting to avoid it. Whiskas isn’t much better but it is in some respects and doesn’t have that addictive non transferability that is known with Felix. High life and James Wellbeloved are much better and still quite cheap if you don’t want to pay through the roof for anything top notch :) hope she starts to eat and settles in quickly. Poor thing being away from mum so young