New kitten mom

Minasimple

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a kitten she eats and plays ....but she sleeps alot to and just lays in her bed not even sleeping ....this morning she had a raspy meow and sneezed not to often but a couple of time today ...I'm so worried but she doesn't show any other syntoos plus the raspymeow is no longer there ...she seems kinda calm to I. So confused do I take her to a hospital vet or wait till her vet appointment

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site since you will get a lot of help and support from the members here. Plus there are many articles and resources for you to look through.

Congrats on your new kitten. :cutecat: How old is she and did you get her from a shelter or a breeder? The reason I asked is because if she's a purebred you can contact the breeder. If you adopted her you may want to check back with the shelter to see how long she had been there and if she was part of a litter whether the other kittens showed signs of any health issues. Most importantly, when is your vet appointment? I'm glad you will be bringing her in for an exam.👍 If her symptoms have not changed and your appointment is not too far off you can probably wait but if you notice any changes please call them sooner.

I'm not sure if this is your first cat or not but thought these Articles might have some helpful information and advice for you:
First-time Cat Owner’s Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck with your new kitten. :goodluck: What's her name and if you have a pic we'd love to see her. Please keep us updated after your vet appointment.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELCOME TO TCS!

The main thing is that she is eating and playing. So long as she is doing that, this is probably not a "screaming emergency." URIs are common in kittens, and this is probably a URI (Upper Respiratory Infection). When is her vet appointment? If it is within a few days, you're golden. If it is longer than a week, or if her appetite drops, or she no longer playing, then have her seen right away.

And yes, we want pictures. What is her name? I don't want to sit here calling her "Whatsherface."

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The advice on here is wonderful. I bottle fed three kittens with no experience from day old and they all survived BUT I will say it’s always the banana peel. Meaning I worried too much about the things that weren’t going to happen and made things worse by not worrying when I should have. Case in point - when they started eating solid food I ran and got them all these varieties because I didn’t want them to be bored. I made them so sick!!! Awful.. Still feel guilty about that.

Oh and if you can afford it, I highly recommend getting pet insurance. If you never collect a dime on it that’s what you should consider success. Meaning people will tell you it’s not worth it - it is IMO. You can get high deductible policies for $5-$10 a month and if you get it when they are small then you’ll have no pre-existing condition worries.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
reba reba , we all make mistakes when we start out! That's normal, and forgive yourself for yours! Now you are still here, and helping others. That's why this site works so well!

Pet insurance is great, and another alternative is, if you qualify, Care Credit. It is a medical-use only credit card that also covers veterinary care. I have one JUST for Hekitty.