New kitten mom-uneducated about kitten/cat behavior

amy tesch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He has traveled real well other than one small (hiccup) where he threw up some water that he chugged real fast. I attributed this to anxiety, and having a touch of motion sickness. Initially we couldn't keep him fed. He was always meowing for food, and would jump up in our laps the minute he heard a crinkle of wrapper or a can being opened.

Yesterday, he did a full 180 in his behavior, and doesn't really eat a lot, and prefers sleeping the whole day away in his beam of sunshine. Today just continues the start yesterday. I will say he did wake up enough to chase the red dot from one end of the trailer to the other for a while. He is 5 months old, and hasn't been neutered quite yet.

Could it be growing pains? Sickness? Typical kitty behavior? I'm a first time fur mom, and I'm worried. Should I be??

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!

What a darling little man you have there [emoji]10084[/emoji]️ My best thought is that he is adjusting to his forever home. Here is a great article for you to check out:

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home

Just keep an eye out to make sure he is eating/drinking at least something and using the litter box. It does not hurt to get him in for a baseline vet check at some point, but I don't think getting him in right now is necessary. Please keep us posted on how your little guy is getting along or if you have any questions or concerns [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy tesch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry. I should have put in a little more info. We have had him for a couple of months now. He's been to the vet a few times for flea treatments, and immunizations. He scheduled to be neutered Oct 24.

I wonder if he is having one of those episodes similar to a teen growth spurt where you can't keep them full then, without warning, they are sleeping, no appetite, and just avoids people in general.

Just now, he seems to be eating a bit, and has been social with us, meowing himself silly. He seems more awake. Hubby tells me cats like to sleep a LOT. Could I be worrying about nothing? Again, I have never had an animal before due to severe allergies as a kid. Now, I haven't had any problems![emoji]128525[/emoji][emoji]128525[/emoji][emoji]128525[/emoji]

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had my cat for five years and still worry about her all the time [emoji]128522[/emoji] I think it's good to be aware of any changes in your baby and ask questions when needed.

I'd say assume he is fine but keep an eye on the basics: eating/drinking/pooping/peeing. If there is any marked changes in any of those for more than a few days, it wouldn't hurt to give the vet a call. If it's warm out, that could make him sleepy and not eat as much.

we are always here and happy to answer questions (or look at cute kitten photos!)
Congrats at growing out of those allergies!

amy tesch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up, and just an FYI, I'm also a nurse so I feel like I'm hypersensitive to changes in mood, behavior, and your eating/drinking/peeing/pooping AKA I&O's (intake & outputs).

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the heads up, and just an FYI, I'm also a nurse so I feel like I'm hypersensitive to changes in mood, behavior, and your eating/drinking/peeing/pooping AKA I&O's (intake & outputs).
Omigoodness...look at that little someone peeping out of the door [emoji]128571[/emoji]

Just keep an eye on those I&Os!!
And never feel silly to give your vet a call or shoot them an email, if you are concerned about something. A lot of times they can advise you over the phone/email or tell you if he should be seen.

P.S. Both my mom and sister in law are nurses...I have a huge respect for nurses and how hard you all work!

amy tesch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is adjusting rather well. He did have a period of aggressiveness but it seems to have subsided. Although we did have a rather active night last night in the camper. He kept climbing up on the valance of my window, and stepped on the on/off button to my CPAP machine. I think he's trying to kil me at times (just kidding). However it looks this mommy will be taking a nap this afternoon.

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain...my Kitty kept me up all night long!! I'm convinced that it was the full moon [emoji]127770[/emoji]. I'll be taking a nap as well!

I'm glad that other than trying to kill you, Jake is doing well [emoji]128522[/emoji]