New Kitten meowing when I am in the kitchen

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

I just got a wonderfully new baby boy. he bonded with me very quickly, and we are inseparable when I am at home. I don't mind it at all, I love that to be honest. 

I just want to make sure i am the best momma to him as possible. He is 4 months old, neutered. Been eating regularly, and using the litter box like a champ. When I go to bed, he plays for a little bit then he will snuggle with me through the night. He plays with his toys, and is a great boy when I am in class or at work. 

The only thing that I am wanting to make sure i handle right, is when I am cooking in the kitchen, or making something to drink (water, juice etc). Every time, he starts to meow constantly, it doesn't bother me, I just want to make sure hes ok. When I begin to pet him, he stops until I get back up again. Is he just wanting attention and I just need to no respond to show him that kitchen time is not pet time, or...?

Thanks for any advice. I just want to be the best fur mom to him as possible. Hes a wonderful cat. 

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
@Amy Ballard and new kitty, welcome to the Catsite :wavey:

Does he meow when you are doing something else other than in the kitchen? If not, maybe he is still hungry. Do you fix his meal in the kitchen while he waits there? If yes, proably he's still hungry and thinks that you are fixing him a meal.
How much and how many times is he fed a day? Is he on dry or wet food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey TabbyTom, 

Hes on both wet and dry food. He has a can of fancy feast in the morning, and then he gets dry food for the rest of the day. I do prepare his food in the kitchen, but he tends to meow even when his food is full, and after he has been fed. He likes his dry food and wet food a lot, so the only thing maybe is that I need to give him two cans a day instead of one? The vet I talked to when I adopted him told me what I am feeding him is good but other than two cans of wet food, the only think I can think of is attention. 

Thanks! I hope that helps!

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He's only 4 months old and he's still a kitten. A kitten should be fed well as in at least 5 - 6 small meals a day. But depending on whether he's a big eater or not. Some eat more and some less but an indication of 5 - 6 small meals will be good. Just monitor his amount and adjust accordingly.
And he's already neutered and that makes him no so active. Being not so active have to watch his amount of food intake. Weigh him every week and make sure he is not over weight. He needs protein more than carbohydrates. So dry food is not so good for him. Wet is better and it has enough water content as with dry food, he needs to have fresh water all the time. If not, in the long run, it's not going to be good for him as he can get UTI.
Having heard you, as for the meowing, think he needs attention and proably he's a very affectionate kitten. Please love him a lot :rbheart:

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your help! I can promise you this is a very well loved boy! He gets a ton of my attention! 

he is not a huge eater from what I have seen, he likes his wet food in the morning, so I am going to try two cans one in the morning and one at night. Thank you for your information! I had a kitten 18 years ago when I was a kid so I do not remember all the steps! 

I change his water every day to make sure hes being well taken care of, and hes a good litter box user. 

Thank you so much!

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also he looks just like your kitty :D 

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
If you can, change his water more than once a day. Why I say this because especially after food they go drink, remnants of food from his mouth and chin will fall into the water and therefore contaminate the water. Besides that, insects can fall in and I hope you have no mice in your house. Rat urine is dangerous!
So always have fresh water for your kitty.

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he is a DMH. the place i got him from was confused on what he could be hair wise

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Think he is a DMH. January's a DSH.
Put them together, they look like twins :lol3:
I have photos of January sleeping exactly like him :D