New kitten keeping me awake all night

olliebaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am looking for advice with my adorable new baby kitten, Oliver. He is 3 months old and I adopted him only this past Saturday. He is such a loving, sweet boy, who follows me around and wants to me near me constantly. However, I have not been able to sleep for the past 2 nights because of his incessant kneading of my neck and face. He burrows in my hair and mews constantly. I know kneading and this behavior is normal and perhaps he was weaned too early, but is there any way I can make him stop or at least do it less? Its adorable and I know it means he is feeling comfortable and likely happy, but I am so sleepy! :( He will do it all night if I let him... And if he is not doing that he is chasing his tail on the bed with me. I don't want to lock him out of my room, but I am not sure how to make him stop... Any suggestions??

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wear out the kitty. 
Don't let him sleep for a few hours before you go to bed.  And play, play, play.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @Olliebaby and welcome to TCS!

Playing with him a lot will help, but don't keep him awake deliberately.. little kittens need their rest when they need it.

This really is kitten behaviour and he does sound like a real sweetie, but you do need your sleep.  You may just need to keep him out for your health's sake. at least occasionally.

impossible cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe think of making your room a cat free zone. my cats a year old and is easily the most rambunctious cat I have ever had, I left some chopsticks on my bedside table last night and around 3 am my Sugar Bear woke me up with her drum solo. If you do make it a cat free zone stand your ground he'll probably mew and beg to be let in, mine does when I shut her out after I have enough.