New kitten is meowing inside bathroom, first time cat owner.

alexalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just got a 5 month old kitten and she is just a little sweetheart. I put her in the bathroom with toys, a bed, a litter box, and food and water, but she just meows loudly when I walk by the door or when she hears noises. Will she be all right in there? I don't want to let her out just yet because I want to supervise her in each room first (just in case I've missed something she could possible get into).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's normal
It's best to confine a new cat to one room for at least a couple of days so she / he can settle in. When you are at home, you can let the cat out and supervise as she explores. You can visit your cat in the bathroom so she's not so lonely. Consider putting a battery-operated radio in the bathroom and set the station to a news station or music station so your cat can have some Human voices for company when you are not home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I left him in the room and she practically cried all night (save for the few minutes she stopped to eat, and drink water). I just checked to make sure she was alright, and put her back in the bathroom. Is it because she use to sleep with her old human foster brother? I'm anything but a sound sleeper and would rollover and crush the poor girl :(

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you placed the kitten next to your pillow on a fuzzy throw, instead of next to you, you wouldn't be able to roll on her would you? I toss n turn a lot too, and that's where I put Robin when I got him at 3 months old. Cats are pretty intuitive... They don't want to be woken up but like to remain close. Might you try a trial nap? Poor kitty. I like the idea of a radio.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
If you placed the kitten next to your pillow on a fuzzy throw, instead of next to you, you wouldn't be able to roll on her would you? I toss n turn a lot too, and that's where I put Robin when I got him at 3 months old. Cats are pretty intuitive... They don't want to be woken up but like to remain close. Might you try a trial nap? Poor kitty. I like the idea of a radio.
If she's five months old, I doubt it'd be that easy to roll over on her :) Two months, maybe. I sleep with three cats, two of whom are 6.5 months old and a 3 year old that is a little smaller than the kittens. They somehow manage, even with me turning quite a bit. And quite often, at least one of them is laying against me length-wise.

And yeah, they don't like being woken up, but mine have to deal with it, lol. They just settle back down and go to sleep again.

I'm guessing she is crying also because she's just not used to being confined like that. And is also probably lonely. So if you can have her sleep with you that would probably help a lot.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She'll be just fine in there, no worries. 

It's harder to roll over onto a cat than you would think. Mr. Squiggles will give me a good claw to the chest if I roll over towards him. That gets my sleeping brain to move me back away from him. 

alexalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I figured out she only cries because she's in a closed room. I'm not so sure about allowing her to sleep with me though (she stayed in there last night, and I could barely sleep). I want to let her out to roam, but I have to go do something and won't be home for at least four hours, and I'm afraid she'll hurt herself somehow. I live in a two story house and can hear her clawing at the door from where I'm sitting in my living room. Would calming spray work? Would she be happier in a bigger room (spare bedroom)?

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try the larger room, that could do the trick. A window to look out of could help as well, or maybe one of those cat DVD's. My cats will watch those for HOURS. Seriously. 

I'd agree that she should be confined when you aren't around. 5 month old kittens are nothing but trouble! 

alexalee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for your help <3 I put on some music (just looked it up on youtube), and she quieted right down. I'll make sure to play with her as soon as I get back, and again before "bedtime".

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten is lonely. At five months old your cat is plenty big enough to at least stay in your bedroom with you. My four kittens were born here and have always had the run of the house for all of their 9 months of life.

How long do you think it will be before you can let your kitten live outside the bathroom and perhaps sleep with you at night? Cats are normally very social creatures.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There really isn't much room in a bathroom for an active kitten,  Is there another room where you feel secure putting her?  Something that could be cat-proofed fairly easily?  That might cut down on some of it.

Sooner or later, you might have to adjust to a cat on the bed.  They can be awfully insistent about getting their way.  You'll probably have an easier time getting used to it than you will training her to stay down.  Jes' sayin'

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Only having a bathroom in which to put new kitties is why I am never able to do the isolation thing for longer than an hour - if that. I say that even having new kitties! I felt horrible putting my 8 week old kittens in there. Yes, kittens will get into things. There really isn't a "good" time for this to happen either - we just have to let it happen though. 

Having a kitty in your bed isn't such a bad thing though :) I often wake up draped in three kitties.