New kitten is (kind of? possibly?) sick, any advice?

neptune

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how much this will help since we're bringing her to the vet in an hour but I figured it's worth a shot. My mother's friend's son found a kitten (Shia) in the bushes at his work place and brought her back to us. We recently lost a cat and everyone was quick to think that finding this new one was meant to be. I'm not sure about her age (going by pictures on the internet she seems to be younger than 12 weeks) or gender (everyone thinks she's a girl but I think she's a boy, it's hard to tell). We've had her since Monday morning.

I'm keeping her separated from my other cat (Gracie) and dog (Lola) until I hear from the vet that it's ok for her to be by them. She's gotten kind of close to them a couple of time but for the most part she's been kept away. Is it possible for her to give my other cat feline leukemia (if she has it) even though they're separated? I'm pretty sure FIV (once again, if she has it) can only be spread through saliva so I'm not worried about that. How is feline leukemia spread? I looked it up but I got a bit confused. Do I have to worry about her spreading anything else to Gracie or Lola even though they're separated?

The poor thing has fleas. Me and my mom tried giving her a dawn bath but she wouldn't be still enough to let it set. Afterwards she was shaking badly and didn't want to be dried. Should I be worried about that?

(now it's going to get a little gross) I think I saw a worm in her poop. I finally got her to poop (and in the litter box too! I'm so proud of her
) and there was a little white thing on it. I called my mom in and when she got to my room it was gone. She collected the poop for her stool test and after a little while I inspected it (from inside the bag of course). I couldn't see the worm but I could see at least two little worm sized holes. I looked at pictures of different worms in cats and it looked most like a tape worm. Her poop is a bit dark but I don't think it's the bloody kind of dark. I was worried about her going to the bathroom for a little while. She didn't pee or poop until today and unfortunately when she peed it was on me and my bed, but since she's not house trained yet I expected something like that.

She eats a lot but I'm not sure if it's because she didn't eat much while she was still a stray, the tapeworm or something else.

The rims of her eyes are mostly black but on one of them there's a patch of pink. I like to say that she didn't finish applying her eyeliner, but my mom doesn't like my joke because she's worried about it. I'm pretty sure it's just difference in skin color, do any of you know what it could be if it's not?

She has a tiny scrape (?) on her nose but it doesn't look infected or anything. I'm not worried about it, just figured I might as well mention it.

Should I use the same carrier I use for my other cats? I only have one but if I shouldn't because of any possible sickness spreading I'll do my best to find something else. The people that brought her here didn't use a carrier, will it be ok if I don't either? I'm super worried that she'll get away.

Not really about her health but does anyone have cat food recommendations (for both Shia and Gracie)? Dog food recommendations are more than welcome too. Besides all of that she seems pretty normal. When she's not sleeping on my chest (and getting flea droppings all over me as a result) she's "playing" with me. She also cleans herself a lot. She gets along with my parents but everyone agrees that she likes me the most. Does anyone need/want to see pictures?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can see that many people have read this post but I think no one has answered because you were going to the vet in an hour and many of your questions would have been answered there.  Let us know about how the vet visit went and what questions you still have and we will do our best to answer you.  And WELCOME to The Cat Site!