New kitten in the family

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! It's been awhile since I've posted here and I now have three adult cats. Yesterday, however, my sister and parents came home with a new kitten. She looks to be about five or six weeks old.She's extremely sweet and cuddly and loves to play. She even knew how to use the litterbox! However, we got too comfortable and tried to introduce her to our three other adult cats. Of course, she hissed at them and is very wary and they hiss and growl at her right back. We introduced them far too fast but I don't want to get rid of her. She was dumped at the work place of my parents which, coincidentally, where one of my adult cats was dumped too. My area is sadly where a lot of cat haters live so I don't want to risk giving her to a bad person or have her live in a shelter her entire life (no one adopts cats here :( ). Can I get some tips on how to get my adult cats to warm up to the kitten? Also, can I get tips on how to raise her in general since it's been a long time since I've had a kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’ll need 5-6 meals a day of wet kitten food while she is growing up. Dry food and water should be available 24/7. Kittens love toy mice and balls to bat around or chase.

As far as introductions go, I’ve always let my kittens introduce themselves. As they are so small and playful, I find that my adult cats will watch them or hiss or run and hide, but that within a few days, they are tolerating the kitten well — even playing. Introducing a new kitten is far easier than introducing a new adult cat.

Thank you for giving this kitten a home!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hello! It's been awhile since I've posted here and I now have three adult cats. Yesterday, however, my sister and parents came home with a new kitten. She looks to be about five or six weeks old.She's extremely sweet and cuddly and loves to play. She even knew how to use the litterbox! However, we got too comfortable and tried to introduce her to our three other adult cats. Of course, she hissed at them and is very wary and they hiss and growl at her right back. We introduced them far too fast but I don't want to get rid of her. She was dumped at the work place of my parents which, coincidentally, where one of my adult cats was dumped too. My area is sadly where a lot of cat haters live so I don't want to risk giving her to a bad person or have her live in a shelter her entire life (no one adopts cats here :( ). Can I get some tips on how to get my adult cats to warm up to the kitten? Also, can I get tips on how to raise her in general since it's been a long time since I've had a kitten.
Agree with advices above. A tip is you introduce them one on one, beginning with the friendliest of them.

I want to add, goats milk is always a useful supplement, and cheaper than kmr.

Tx for helping the little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’ll need 5-6 meals a day of wet kitten food while she is growing up. Dry food and water should be available 24/7. Kittens love toy mice and balls to bat around or chase.

As far as introductions go, I’ve always let my kittens introduce themselves. As they are so small and playful, I find that my adult cats will watch them or hiss or run and hide, but that within a few days, they are tolerating the kitten well — even playing. Introducing a new kitten is far easier than introducing a new adult cat.

Thank you for giving this kitten a home!
Thanks for this! I'm gonna let this little kitten try and introduce itself when it can! Thankfully I'm home all week since work went remote so I can keep an extra close eye

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isaac1234

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Agree with advices above. A tip is you introduce them one on one, beginning with the friendliest of them.

I want to add, goats milk is always a useful supplement, and cheaper than kmr.

Tx for helping the little one.
I didn't know goat milk was good for them! I'm going to invest in it! thanks!!!!