New Kitten In Multicat Home.

Ramsalte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So. Here we go.

My family has several healthy adult cats that are worm, flea and disease free. They’re strictly indoor cats, with the exception of going out into our sunroom, which is completely glassed in. They still get treated for fleas regularly because our one boys is allergic to flea bites.

A woman we know regularly takes in stray cats and has many many cats in her home (over fifteen). She recently asked if we would be interested in a cat and we chose a kitten and have been waiting to pick her up. We were told the kitten was treated for fleas (recently as we were told to not treat her again for about a month) and was given her second dose of deworming medicine (from the vet) a few days ago. We picked the cat up today and upon getting her home found that she had quite a few fleas which is promptly combed before bathing her and again after and subsequently through the day. We’re being vigilant about the fleas because our cats are waiting on their usual dose to be delivered and obviously don’t want an infestation in our hands, nor do we want our allergic cat to suffer. But we also found evidence (segments or small worms, something rice shaped and wriggling) of what appears to be tapeworms in the new cat’s poop and we’ve also found a few segments around her rear.

I’ve never had a cat with worms before so I’m freaking out a little. Should I keep the kitten segregated from the other cats until she’s clear of worms? I haven’t found any fleas on her after bathing and combing her and she cries if we put her in a room by herself (even with everything she could want or need).

I wasn’t expecting her to come with fleas or worms so I was totally caught off guard to find that she has both. Am I just being overly cautious? Can I do anything? Should I do anything?

The kitten is eating normally, alert and curious. Her poop is honestly normal looking too. It’s not runny or anything. Just wormy. She’s playful and looks healthy, too. I just don’t want her or our other cats to get sick if we can prevent it.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitten. Yes, it is best to keep her separated until she is clear of worms, because she may spread worms/fleas to your other cats.
We rescued kittens before and first isolated them in a room from our other cats until they are free of any fleas and worms.
After they are treated and free of any worms, we introduced them to our household cats with no problems.