New kitten hissing at resident cat

jack098123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, 

I have recently got a new kitten, she didn't come from a great home, there were quite a few cats, and not long after getting her back we noticed she had fleas. She is also very small, the vets have told us she is either malnutritioned (weighs 0.6kg) or she is younger than we thought. we kept her in 'quarantine' for a few days whilst we treated her, and now the time has come to introduce her to our cat. 

I read up on how to go about this, and tried to follow the information I found (swapping scents etc). Our cat gives the occasional hiss, and is very curious following her round, however she seems to be the friendly one out of this. Any time that she tries to go near the kitten, the kitten constantly hisses, which in turn isn't really helping my cat 'make friends'. 

Any tips on what to do to help the little kitten become a little more friendly towards our cat?

if i fit i sit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it seems like at some point, the adult cat has done something to scare the kitten this is when she hisses at her. one of the adult cats we have played rough with a kitten (the kitten liked to play) and now the kitten gets scared whenever the adult cat comes near him. 

maybe if you pet both together at the same time it would work, or maybe if you have them chase the same toy they will realize they both want to play. 

not sure if this would work, but i think with time they will accept each other.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
1) it could be quite possible that the introduction was done too quickly, or rushed. Please remember, that sometimes introductions can take days, sometimes weeks, and in some cases months. I would recommend separating them, and then doing the whole intro-process again, but slower this time, and perhaps go at the kittens pace

2) The kitten might be viewing your cat as a threat, as you have mentioned, your kitten came from a bad situation, surrounded by many cats. some of those cats might have hurt the kitten, and now the kitten is taking it out on your cat. maybe try playing with them together, with the same toy, and then rewarding them both with treats afterwards

3) your kitten could be still feeling a bit ill from being malnourished. Its best to keep the kitten in it's own room, with food and litter, until she feel 100%, and also until she is used to her new home. 

4) its also important to understand, that hissing is okay. your kitten is communicating to your cat and telling your cat to back off. Maybe the kitten doesn't want to play with the cat, maybe it wants to be left alone. Whatever the deal is, its okay to let them sort it out between them. When I introduced my cat Jet into the house, i already had another cat (charlie). they were both kittens, Charlie being only 2 months older. Although we did a rushed introduction, Jet used to hiss at Charlie ALL THE TIME. that was the only way she communicated with Charlie. And all Charlie wanted to do was play with her and be with her. But that did pass. The two of them are now inseparable. 

I wish you good luck!