New kitten help please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tash228

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've done some reading on this drug and I'm actually terrified of using it ?
He has had one dose and I don't think I'll use it again , apparently it has very bad side affects :( ... why didn't the vet tell me about that ?
I don't know what to do now ... but I know I won't be using this drug !!

tash228

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
whats the chances of him stuffering side affects from this drug ? Has anyone else used this or had anything go wrong with it ?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Flagyl is used against small parasites as amoeba, giardia, trichomonas.  Also for kiling anaerob bacterias.  Of these is Giardia the most common, causes often diarrheas.

tash228

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's why he put midnight on it , I've just googled the side affects and I'm really worried about continuing with it , should I ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's metronidazole and is very effective against parasites and diarrhea. It's very commonly used in cats and dogs. It's strong though, and he may not feel great on it. It's harsh on the system, but will cure him.

Another drug that works just as well but is used off-label in felines and canines is panacur, also known as fenbendazole. Made for equine use, it is highly effective yet causes fewer side effects.

Humans also use metronidazole. You may want to ask your vet about panacur.

tash228

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He did a completely normal poo yesterday no
Mucus at all
Was fully formed !
I think I should keep him on it for the next 3 days just to rid of anything that was causing the mucus and blood ...
I hate how scary the side affects are but he didn't show any side affects after yesterday and still very affection and playful and ate all his food

chrisszy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Call the vet and tell them - tell them it's very difficult to give the cat the medicine and tht the cat spits it out and u either need something else or maybe they can give ur cat a shot. They do tht - they give antibiotic shots. Deff if the cat had worms they were upsetting it's belly. I know tht my daughter cat had worms but the vet gave her worming medicine and all is well. Hopefully ur kitty gets better.[emoji]128570[/emoji]

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
T tash228
I think you should continue the medication for the days the vet prescribed.
That is the best way to cure the underlying illness.