New kitten food recommendations.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by hwc

Actually, the advice my vet gave was based primarily on recent research showing a connection between dry diets and urinary blockage.

The dental dry food my vet was recommending was not so much for nutrition as a grazing snack that:

a) is good for teeth cleaning
b) doesn't do much harm

He said that none of the grocery store brands fill that bill.
Cats do not Chew thus dental dry is mostly a gimic... only a handful of RX and OTC pet store brands have been Proven ... If you want some serious reading material with data I will happily send you to some links
... No I agree with b dry food is not likely to harm a cat as if it did cats would have shorter lifespans NOT the nearly 13 yr ave of today but closer to the 3 to 5 yrs of a wild cat

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read a couple of articles that recommend feeding only wet food to cats. As they don't chew dry food it doesn't clean the teeth but will stick to the teeth. Where as wet food doesn't stick & keeps their teeth clean. I personally think a raw natural diet is best but unless they have it from a young age it can be hard to get them to eat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

docray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night I picked up a small bag of Evo and a couple cans of Innova canned food.

He ate about 1/8th of the can between last night and this morning and licked up the rest of it in the AM. How does feeding him about 1/8th of a can in the AM and the same amount in the evening sound? He'll also have his current mix of Royal Canin and Evo dry food as I switch him over to Evo... hopefully he doesn't get the runs!

hwc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Cats do not Chew thus dental dry is mostly a gimic... only a handful of RX and OTC pet store brands have been Proven ... If you want some serious reading material with data I will happily send you to some links
... No I agree with b dry food is not likely to harm a cat as if it did cats would have shorter lifespans NOT the nearly 13 yr ave of today but closer to the 3 to 5 yrs of a wild cat
I would very much appreciate any links you send. Thanks.

My vet said that there were only a couple of brands of dry that had chunks large enough to force a cat to bite into them (none of the store brands). Of course, he sold one of the brands, and he gave me the name of another. I wasn't taking notes because none of them are suitable for kitties under one year of age.

BTW, I've had cats clearly bite into dry food morsels.

His number one recommendation was to stick to a wet food diet, primarily because of the risk of urinary blockage with my male whom he believes was neutered too early.

For the nearly fifty years I've had cats, we've always fed wet morning and night (sometimes more) with dry food available for grazing. I'm open to suggestions.