New kitten changed behavior

tdanley0906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We took in a stray female calico kitten a week ago that's approximately 5 months according to the vet. She's very sassy and not as cuddly as our 6 1/2 month old tabby but otherwise seemed happy about us taking her in until the past two days. This past Saturday we took her to the vet to get checked and she got 2 shots and started her flea treatment. The next day I noticed she had thrown up a little yellow stuff with hair in it and later that night just white foam. It appears she has diarrhea also and today she has not been eating except a tiny bit but I had to give her a different flavor of canned food than what she had been eating. She also has been darting out the front door when we come in but we catch her and today she has been trying to climb the windows and would growl at me when I would take her down. I feel like she doesn't want to be here anymore for whatever reason. Another thing I was curious about was her size compared to my other cat. She's 5 months and weighed only 4.6 lbs, my tabby is 6 1/2 months old and weighs 9lbs! He's twice her size but only a little more than a month apart [emoji]128563[/emoji]

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats react a little badly to their first vaccinations. At 5 months she should weigh 5 LBS so she is just about right. Have you gotten her fixed yet? She needs to be. I hope your male is neutered because she can get pregnant at 4 months. Be careful not to let her outside - you will never see her again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdanley0906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is neutered and we are planning on getting her spayed in 3 weeks when we take her back for her second fvcrp vaccine.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buy her a cat tree or attach a padded shelf to the window sill so she can look out of the windows. Sounds like she enjoys this. Do be careful with front door. I have a vestibule between my 2 front doors - otherwise I probably would have lost a cat this way.

tdanley0906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I raised the blinds for her but she went above and beyond and started trying to climb the blinds and actually sit in them! Lol My fiancé suggested just getting a gate if we have to to set up outside the door (be a pain for us but would keep her in) or just start using the side door that goes into our bedroom. Hopefully after we get her spayed she'll stop trying to run out.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, yes, a kitten would be attracted to blinds. Use the side door - perfect solution. Make sure she is entertained - kittens have tons of energy & she does not have a friend to play with.

tdanley0906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She plays all the time with our tabby and with the toys and tunnels we have for them, they run like wild animals around here lol

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Duh, I forgot you have tabby. Sorry about that. How wonderful that they both get along. I wonder why you thought kitty didn't want to be with you?

tdanley0906

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She keeps trying to run out and was going crazy on the windows like she wanted out, my tabby has never tried running out but then again he was never an outside cat either.