New Kitten And Resident Cat

Hsand22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. Need some advice on my new female 10 week old kitten that I got two days ago. I already have a male cat that is a year old. I have her and all of the things she needs in a separate room, I rubbed a blanket all over my resident cat and put it where she sleeps. She is starting to come out of her shell for me, but wants absolutely nothing to do with my resident cat. He is dying to be around her and looks so sad. He sits outside her door crying. But anytime he comes around she has hissed and growled. She wants absolutely nothing to do with him. Is this normal? I know it has only been two days but I’m just so worried that this is how it will always be. It’s so hard for me to see him so sad and wanting friend so bad. It would break my heart if she will always hiss and growl at him. How long does it usually take for a kitten to get used to resident cat? What steps can I take to ensure she gets used to him and they might become friends? I will do absolutely whatever it takes

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Is this normal?
It is normal. Every cat is so different that there's no way to know how long it may take, but patience on your part is key here.
Try sitting on the floor and reading to her. When she's approaching you of her own volition, you can begin to see about maybe putting up a couple of baby gates in the doorway so she can see your resident kitty, and then try having them eat on either side of the gates.
Maybe there is something in here that will help;
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is normal. Hissing and growling doesn't necessarily mean she wants nothing to do with him, just that she is being cautious and warning him that she is tough despite her size.

Also it has been 2 days.... sometimes introductions take weeks. If your boy is really that calm around her and she is only 10 weeks old it will likely be fine after awhile longer. Just be patient. Let them see each other through some sort of baby gate maybe. Feed them on either side of the door also at the same time so they have a pleasant experience near each other.