new kitten and litterbox

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have a new kitten that will not use a litterbox. He is 8 weeks old and when he has to pee he pees where ever he feels like. This morning i took him over to the litterbox and he didnt go. He came out of that room and i fed him. After about 15 minutes he climbed on my couch and layed on the rightside cushion where he and my other kitty lay on together. He layed down and not 30 seconds later walked over to the leftside cushion and decided to try and dig and pee there. I catch him and pick him up gently and place him in the litterbox. He will finish there and will try to bury it but when he tries to bury it he tries scratching at the wall instead of the litter. Other times when i put him in the box to go he will not finish but as soon as he gets out he will find a different spot to go. Any suggestions.

Thank you in advance

Julie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
8 weeks old is pretty young to be away from his mom. He should have stayed with her until at least 12 weeks as the mother cat teaches them things like proper behaviour as in no biting, litter use, etc.

Because he is so young, chances are he cannot make it to a litter box as quickly as he needs to so I would firstly recommend having several litter boxes spread around so that there is one nearby when he needs to go. If he is looking for soft things to pee on then it's also possible he has a urinary tract infection and should be checked by a vet. He should be checked by a vet anyway at this point just to ensure he is healthy and be started on his first vaccinations.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Yosemite. My husband and I were thinking that maybe he needs to go back with mom for a few more weeks but i am so heart broken to think of it. Now that you say it as well...i dont feel like i am giving up on him. My other boy came to us when he was 10 weeks and he knew exactly what to do when i showed him where it was. I guess i must do what is best for all of us. Your other suggestion on multiple boxes spread around the house...i tried that. I think you and my husband are right...he need to be with mom longer. Thank you for your advice. I really do appreciate it.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's sad, but good for you, Mikes Julie, for making the choice that's best for the kitten.

And when he returns in four weeks, he'll be all yours!

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You Auntie Crazy .... It is going to be so hard. We are all going to miss him for the time he is away my husband , 3 daughters, myself and ..even my older kitten Bruin (7 months old) is going to miss little Calvin like crazy. This is going to be one of the toughest things i have ever had to do.

Have a great day

Julie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MIKES JULIE

Thank You Auntie Crazy .... It is going to be so hard. We are all going to miss him for the time he is away my husband , 3 daughters, myself and ..even my older kitten Bruin (7 months old) is going to miss little Calvin like crazy. This is going to be one of the toughest things i have ever had to do.

Have a great day

Julie
It will be tough, but when he comes back, little Calvin will be a better kitty for it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there -
Just make sure to do it quickly, so there is no problem in mom recognizing him... Four weeks will come really soon - I am glad you have the choice to send him back for a little longer...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a warm, loving family. This will be great for the kids, too, to see the priorities you choose.

Like Carolinalima said, four weeks is no time at all; hang in there, MJ!

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just an update. I called the vet just to make an appointment to get his shots before i gave him back for those few weeks we spoke about. When i told the vet what i was going to do he asked me if i knew anything about the house he came from. Of course i do, so i told him. He didnt think it was a good idea to send him back there. The reason being that there are 6 adult cats there and 2 kittens 7 months old. He seems to think that since an 8 week old kitten should already know how to use a litterbox there has to be a reason why he isnt. He seem to think he must not have had a chance to do it in peace or could have been bullied by others. Great now i dont know what to do. They suggested crate training him by pitting a litterbox, bedding area, and food area in the crate. I did go out and buy one and did just that. He did use the litterbox while he was in there but they also told me to keep him in there for most of the day. There was NO WAY i could do that. He was screaming and trying so hard to squeeze out of the slots so what i do is feed him in there and wait until he uses the box. then i let him out. To me keeping him in it is torture. So i guess he is staying here. Let me know what you think.

Julie

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it will work itself out in time, but do get him to the vet as soon as possible.

Feeding him in the crate then waiting for him to use the box before releasing him is a good idea. Leave that crate open, he may start using that box regularly. Cats usually get the litter box concept quite quickly, especially if there is an older cat for him to emulate.

Are the sides of the box low enough for him to get into the box easily? Perhaps there is something about the litter he doesn't like. Many cats object to the strong perfume odors some litters have.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us updated on Calvin!

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do a lot of raising of bottle baby kittens and there is an amazing litter that I have become a firm believer in......Dr. Elsey's Kitten Attract Litter.This litter can be found at Petsmart for like $15 for a 20lb bag. I start to use it when the kittens can walk well enough and are peeing on their own. I have never had a kitten miss the litter. I don't know exactly what it is in the litter that makes them use it but its amazing. The only downfall to this litter is, when it gets wet it turns to cement, so if kitten accidentally steps in urine clump his little feet have to be washed asap. I wish you the best of luck.

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You everyone for your support and suggestions. It is all very much appreciated and welcome. I have had many kittens in the past and never had this problem. So when Calvin came to live with us..i was stumped on what to do. Well this morning he pee'd by the back door again on the floor. So i put the the litter box back over there and he just pooped in it. YAY CALVIN!!!!! But last night he pooped in the litterbox in the bathroom. So i guess maybe he is just the type of kitty that may need a litterbox in more than one place. Only time will tell.

Otto...thank you for asking about the sides of the litterbox. My husband actually had that same idea and he cut a cardboard box down so that the side were only about an inch or two high ... so there would be no problem with him getting in it.. Thank you for that suggestion

FootersOwnsMe....My hats off to you
...what a wonderful person you are raising those little kittens...Thank you for the info on that litter...If all else fails i will try it.

I hope all of you have a wonderful day. Thank You very much

Julie

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank You everyone for your support and suggestions. It is all very much appreciated and welcome. I have had many kittens in the past and never had this problem. So when Calvin came to live with us..i was stumped on what to do. Well this morning he pee'd by the back door again on the floor. So i put the the litter box back over there and he just pooped in it. YAY CALVIN!!!!! But last night he pooped in the litterbox in the bathroom. So i guess maybe he is just the type of kitty that may need a litterbox in more than one place. Only time will tell.

Otto...thank you for asking about the sides of the litterbox. My husband actually had that same idea and he cut a cardboard box down so that the side were only about an inch or two high ... so there would be no problem with him getting in it.. Thank you for that suggestion

...what a wonderful person you are raising those little kittens...Thank you for the info on that litter...If all else fails i will try it.

Julie
It's good that the vet asked about the kitten's original home - I certainly never thought of that.

It does indeed seem as though little Calvin needs several boxes spread around so he can get to one quickly if he needs to go. As he matures you won't need to keep multiple boxes but in the meantime it will help both of you. He sounds like an absolute treasure and is in a lovely home with folks who truly care for him.

I second the kitten attract litter.

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leaving for the vet now with Calvin for his first shots and hopefully there will be some type of easy solution to my no sleep and all the litterbox training. I have been awake since 2:45 am....ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Wish me luck and again i want to thank all of you for all the support you have been giving me. You are all wonderful

Julie

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Julie
1 kitten, two litter boxes - that is the recommended (litter box # = cats +1). Make sure they are easily accessible...
I second the Kitten Attract Litter - I think it will solve your problem.
They also have a rebate, so your 1st litter will be free.

here is the rebate:
http://www.preciouscat.com/pdf/Free_...ll_8-17-06.pdf

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A quick question because I don't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread (unless I'm so sleepy I missed it!
)... but are you cleaning the areas where he peed outside of the box with an enzyme cleaner? Nature's Miracle is the most common, found at supermarkets and pet stores, but it is not the best, and often requires several applications. The two best are more expensive, but in our experience, worth it. We use Nok Out http://www.nokout.com/odorelim/pets/ - Anti-Icky-Poo is also really good: http://www.catfaeries.com/cleanup.html

It is SO important to use an enzyme cleaner. Cats are all about territory and smell - and if he smells his pee anywhere outside of a box, it will just encourage him to continue to have the problem. An enzyme cleaner is the only thing that removes the scent to kitty's far more sensitive nose.

We also cover the area with aluminum foil. When Spooky was stress-peeing outside of the box, we had to soak the couch cushions. We then covered them with aluminum foil. When we wanted to sit on it, we put a throw blanket over that... because you MUST douse - and I mean really soak - any area. Cat pee wicks, so it is really important to use a lot of enzyme cleaner and really let it soak in there - through a cushion or down to the floorboards. I mean soaking. Blot it up after 10-15 minutes, and then you must let it air dry. But if you're not doing this, it should go a long way to helping unconfuse him about just where is OK.

...and positive reinforcement also really helps. Just like with human children, understanding what they should be doing comes from praise - so even if you put him in the box and he finishes there, praise him to high heaven. It will help reinforce what he's supposed to be doing.

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok everyone tomorrow is the day. It was suggested to me by FootersOwnsMe and followed up with a rebate for a free bag by carolinalima that i try Dr Elsey's kitten attract litter.. Thank you for that info. I am going to go about 20 miles away to purchase that litter for Calvin. I am very hopeful that he will start using the box all the time. Wish me luck and send good kitty vibes Calvins way. =^..^= I will post in a day or two after i start using it to let you know the results.

Julie

mikes julie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so far so good. I put the Dr Elseys kitten attract litter in both boxes and so far he has gone in the box everytime. He even started to dig in the litter instead of on the wall. But I still dont fully trust him. But i do have to say....This litter is WONDERFUL. Thank You for telling me about it.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update! By the way, scratching the wall or floor around the litter box is quite a common behavior for cats.
Ootay (rb 5/09) always gave the walls and floor a through scratching, all her long life.

Jennie does her business in one box, then reaches over and scratches a nice neat pile of litter.....in the box next to the one she's used LOL!