New Kitten and Diarrhea

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
chowchow-
I'm so glad to hear that someone on TCS has availed of Dr. Pierson's consulting. Just recently, a member of a Yahoo CRF Support Group (which I belong to) also had a very successful consultation with her. Dr. Pierson even followed up with an email, which was then shared with the group. Thank heavens for the benefits we can reap from the Internet!

Originally Posted by Yosemite

...no vet worth their salt would even consider diagnosing and recommending treatment of an animal via internet. If they did so, then they are not practicing true veterinary medicine...
I seem to have missed this part earlier.

Yosemite, if only you had taken the time to evaluate the site, you would have seen Dr. Pierson's advice on the very first page:

"Information on this site is for general informational purposes only... This site is not intended to replace professional advice from your own veterinarian and nothing on this site is intended as a medical diagnosis or treatment. Any questions about your animal's health should be directed to your veterinarian"

So, clearly, this is not diagnosis and treatment, only information (take it or leave it),,,,,and furthermore, her mantra (and TCS's) is: consult with one's own Vet.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BLAISE

chowchow-
I'm so glad to hear that someone on TCS has availed of Dr. Pierson's consulting. Just recently, a member of a Yahoo CRF Support Group (which I belong to) also had a very successful consultation with her. Dr. Pierson even followed up with an email, which was then shared with the group. Thank heavens for the benefits we can reap from the Internet!

I seem to have missed this part earlier.

Yosemite, if only you had taken the time to evaluate the site, you would have seen Dr. Pierson's advice on the very first page:

"Information on this site is for general informational purposes only... This site is not intended to replace professional advice from your own veterinarian and nothing on this site is intended as a medical diagnosis or treatment. Any questions about your animal's health should be directed to your veterinarian"

So, clearly, this is not diagnosis and treatment, only information (take it or leave it),,,,,and furthermore, her mantra (and TCS's) is: consult with one's own Vet.
Which is exactly what I was saying - read the information on the internet (whether it be Dr. Pierson's or any other website), make notes, have questions ready for when you go to your own vet. We are finally on the same page!

Food recommendations IMO are not quite the same as medical diagnoses and treatment so people like Sharky (and of course Dr. Pierson since she seems to be one of the few vets that understands nutrition) can certainly be a great guide even over the internet.

ETA: Even food advice, if required for a specific medical condition, should always be discussed with your vet. If not for a medical condition, then of course it's fine for us lay people to recommend things like adding some canned pumpkin for diarrhea or constipation or baby food to jump-start the cat eating again, etc. Those things are not going to HURT the animal, but some things that have been suggested CAN and HAVE hurt or killed pets.

It really is a case of common sense, knowing that the internet isn't always reliable and getting medical advice from a professional. I know of NO human doctor that would diagnose a patient over the phone or internet and would be very suspect of one who would.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelrn08

I did get it, and I mentioned it. That is the next step if the runny poo isnt clear soon. My vet thinks it is just stress, food changes, etc....but the breeder e-mailed me and said that his brother still has diareah so.....I dont know what to think
Just remember that most vets aren't familiar with this or think they are when they aren't. I would recommend that you mention it to your breeder as well, especially since both kittens are showing symptoms of TF. You're breeder should especially be informed and concerned about this as it is highly transmissible. In the only study I'm aware of, 30% of purebred cats were found to have this parasite, so it is highly likely that your kitty has it as well. I would be more inclined to agree with the stress/food change thing if the other kitten didn't have the same symptoms.