New Kitten and Air Travel

brunette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I am so excited!  My new Siberian boy, Boris Yeltsin, is arriving on Saturday night!  I am all ready for his arrival.  I have all his necessities (plus many extras) waiting for him, I have cat proofed my home, and his safe room prepared. 

My only small worry is the flight/airport pickup, more specifically the time he will have to spend in the carrier without water or access to a litter box.  The breeder will drive him about an hour to Toronto, but he must arrive at the airport two hours before the flight.  Then he will do the 3 hour direct flight (with direct flights attendants do not feed or water animals) and arrive in Moncton.  I will retrieve him from the airport upon his arrival, then we will drive him to our home, another hour and a half away!  That seems like a big trip for a little kitty (at least 7 hours in the kennel)!

I of course do not plan to disturb him in the carrier until we get him home in his safe room, and allow him to come out on his own for greetings.  However, I am concerned that he may need a drink before we hit the road.  I don't want to scare him or invade his space.  I assume if I offer him water he may need to pee afterward.  My breeder suggested that I should bring water (I will) and a litter box and not to offer them unless I think he really needs it.  She has flown many kittens and said that they do not often want water at that point.

Does anyone have any advice, or can you share your experience picking up your new kitten at the airport?  I would love to hear some other stories.

Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry nobody seems to have answered you in time.  I hope all went well.  hen traveling with cats, I have found they go all day without water or needing a litter box and then will eat and drink once they are home and out of a carrier.  I have not had cats shipped, but when driving with them, I have traveled from sun up to sun down and they have just slept in the carrier.  Let us know if everything came out OK and then others that may read this will also learn from your experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brunette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
<!-- /* Font Definitions */@font-face{font-family:Times;panose-1:2 0 5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;mso-font-charset:0;mso-generic-font-family:auto;mso-font-pitch:variable;mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;}@font-face{font-family:"MS 明朝";panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;mso-font-charset:128;mso-generic-font-family:roman;mso-font-format:eek:ther;mso-font-pitch:fixed;mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;}@font-face{font-family:"MS 明朝";panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0;mso-font-charset:128;mso-generic-font-family:roman;mso-font-format:eek:ther;mso-font-pitch:fixed;mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;}@font-face{font-family:Cambria;panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;mso-font-charset:0;mso-generic-font-family:auto;mso-font-pitch:variable;mso-font-signature:-536870145 1073743103 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal{mso-style-unhide:no;mso-style-qformat:yes;mso-style-parent:"";margin:0cm;margin-bottom:.0001pt;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}p{mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-margin-top-alt:auto;margin-right:0cm;mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;margin-left:0cm;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Times;mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";}.MsoChpDefault{mso-style-type:export-only;mso-default-props:yes;font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-fareast-font-family:"MS 明朝";mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;mso-ansi-language:EN-US;}@page WordSection1{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt;mso-header-margin:36.0pt;mso-footer-margin:36.0pt;mso-paper-source:0;}div.WordSection1{page:WordSection1;}-->
Haha, Yes, it seems no one had much to say on this topic.

Anyhow, all went very well!  My kitten made it safely to us and was in excellent spirits upon arrival!  I ended up not opening the kennel in the car to offer him water or the litter box.  He was very curious on the ride home and did not seem to be afraid or very anxious, although he was meowing to get out and putting his little paw on my hands through the cage.   I had to really resist the urge to take him out and hold him, but I knew that he would be safest in the carrier until we got home.  When we got him home in his temporary room he came right out of his kennel and looked around.  He didn't eat, drink or use the litter right away.  It took him about an hour to get to those things.

He is here cuddled up beside me purring as I type this.  He is absolutely perfect and has settled in wonderfully already!  A total darling.   I couldn't be  happier with him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brunette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!  I am very relieved to have him safely here with me.  He is just wonderful!