New kitten and 6 month old kitten HELP!!

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I got a new 8 week old kitten yesterday, I already have a 6 month old kitten as well (both female) the 6 month old one is spayed and affectionate towards me and my husband.

Last night when I brought the new one home we lifted both cats and let them sniff each other then we set them both down and they sniffed around each other and seemed curious enough. The older one was slightly scared of the new one but she would not stop stalking the new one, she followed it most of the time but nothing major happened. We kept them in separate rooms last night to sleep and got separate litter trays food and water for them both because I didn't want my older cat to feel the new one was taking over.

Now this morning my husband has told me that when he let them meet again my older cat started growling at the new one and went to swipe at it. I'm so worried they won't get along, what should I do? Has anyone experienced this before? I don't know what the best plan of action is.

Thanks in advance for your help
Laura

recomper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cat's need slow introduction to each other, young or old.

Look the the sticky thread on top of this forum. It's a light blue box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yea I read about this so I have tried to keep them separate most of the time. I just have a fear that they will always hate each other

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am just finishing up the introduction process with my cats and it has taken over 1 month.

Your post said you go the kitten yesterday and in that same post you already let them meet and sniff and have time to touch each other.  Sound like you unfortunately went too fast and your seeing the agressive results from it.

Cats arnt social by nature.  Your resident kitty probably sees the kitten as a threat and intruder on it's territory.  Thats why we need slow intros to show the resident cat the new family member is not a threat and this isnt in their minds a hostile take over.

This i what I did, and what I read before I brought home my new kitty.  I didnt even let my cat see the new cat for a week. I then started scent swapping, trading beds, using the same brush on them, that sort of thing.  I forget if it was at the second or third week mark but that was when I opened the door a crack, this was the first time they were able to see one another and even then they could only fit  a paw through the door, nothing else. There are a lot of sticky threads to help you on this and it's all about moving at the cats pace.

Like Recomper said it needs to be a slow intro. It could be a few days, weeks, or months. But the good news is you can probably start over.  Keep the new kitty it it's own room and restart the process, watching to see when the cats feel comfortable with step one and moving onto step two, etc.

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response :)
Yea it probably was too fast. My resident cat usually stays in the living room and is only allowed into the rest of the house as a treat but since I have got the new kitten I have been keeping the kitten in the living room and letting my cat live with me in my bedroom

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last part of my last post didnt show up lol ... Am I doing the right thing keeping my 6 month old with me in the bedroom or should I keep the kitten in with me?

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depends on if you are in the bedroom all the time.  The resident cat (6 month old) should have access to you most of the time and the newcomer should have a place of their own.  This reassures the resident.

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah I see! Yes well I try my best for either me or my husband to be with my 6 month old at any given time. See being in the bedroom also means she sleeps with us and she has never been able to do that before, we have allowed her into the bedroom as a treat but never to sleep during the night so I was kind of thinking that she feel feel privileged over new kitty, right?

kattykat1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I got a new 8 week old kitten yesterday, I already have a 6 month old kitten as well (both female) the 6 month old one is spayed and affectionate towards me and my husband.

Last night when I brought the new one home we lifted both cats and let them sniff each other then we set them both down and they sniffed around each other and seemed curious enough. The older one was slightly scared of the new one but she would not stop stalking the new one, she followed it most of the time but nothing major happened. We kept them in separate rooms last night to sleep and got separate litter trays food and water for them both because I didn't want my older cat to feel the new one was taking over.

Now this morning my husband has told me that when he let them meet again my older cat started growling at the new one and went to swipe at it. I'm so worried they won't get along, what should I do? Has anyone experienced this before? I don't know what the best plan of action is.

Thanks in advance for your help
Laura
When we introduce new kittens, we set up a space for them to have freedom, but where everyone can at least see them (mostly because my one make knows how to open doors so no room is sacred lol) when we brought home my last two kittens my make would not have it, but we set them up in a critter fence that still have them tons of room and their own food and litter. This worked for us because the resident cats couldn't reach them and vice versa. We let that go on till the resident cats were no longer curious with that area then enlarged the kitten area. We did this till they had full roam of the house and now all my cats get along wonderfully. It was not realistic for us to seperate by rooms, but we did what we could and it helped. I think it took about 2 weeks before they could share the house with the resident cats and about 4 weeks till they were all best friends.

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just went through this about a month ago..I kept the new cat in my laundry room.. I would feed them both at the same time with their bowls close to each side of the door and I gave them the other's blanket to sniff..After a couple days, I switched their rooms for a little while so they could each explore the other's space..I was only able to keep them apart for 4 days..It was a little tense at first and I had to separate them a few times but for the most part they did ok..Fast forward a month and they are best friends..It makes me emotional sometimes when I watch them together because they truly love each other..I wish you and your kitties the best of luck!

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your posts have made me feel so much better! Haha I hope they can be best friends that's what I want :). I would hate for them to hate each other that much that I would have to give the wee one up :(. I have done the same thing, I have kept their water and food and litter trays on either side of the kitchen door (which has glass panels in it so they can see each other. I hope this works

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They might not end of the best of buds sleeping together like some but there is certainly hope that they will tolerate one another.  I think it's easier with kittens too because they tend to accept faster. I think play over rides their territorial nature lol.  Best of luck.

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A wee update on the cats! So I started to let them in together supervised for a bit longer and now they play with each other, chasing and taking turns running after each other, the bigger cat pins down the wee one and it sometimes gets a bit rough but they seem to be ok, they share each others water food and litter trays. Is it normal for the bigger one to be a bit rough? Also my older cat won't come and sleep on me anymore but the wee cat does. Will it get jealous?

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah! So happy to hear things are improving. They will be best friends before you know it. My Benjamin is a little rough with Caya sometimes. Eventually she gets tired of him and puts a stop to it. She can be tough when she needs to be. I am sure your kitty is the same way. And I don't know if cats get jealous or not. I try to give them all lots of attention. Sometimes they could care less about me and other times I can't get them off of me. Who knows with cats. I am learning they are some odd creatures!! But so adorable!! And they are lucky they are so cute too. It makes it harder to fuss at them. My two get into everything and always get on the counter and table where they are not allowed. They look so freaking precious that I just can't fuss. I try.

I would love to see some pics of your babies if you would like to share!

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks! Yes I will share some pics :) Smithers is the 6 month old female and mini is the 8 week old female. Right now one of them is sleeping on the sofa and the other is sleeping on the mat but it's just worries me how the older one pins the wee one down and bites it and the wee one crys, I assumed it's getting hurt but straight after it goes back for more which is confusing!

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are so adorable! I know they must be spoiled rotten..I would think that if the baby was getting hurt that she would not be going back for more..She must like it..Caya used to do the same thing..And Benjamin can get pretty rough..Sometimes it makes me nervous..I guess it's the mom in me..I want everyone to place nice..They must love when i leave for work in the mornings, they can go crazy..I must have had a boring life before these kitties

mzlaw13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Haha your exactly like me! What colour are your kitties? My black one still sleeps with me in my room at night for now because i don't trust them alone together yet. I know what u mean but when Smithers is playing with me and she bites my hand it is pretty hard so I can imagine if she is doing that with the kitten it must hurt. But there's no blood or anything. I just want them to be best friends :p. How long did it take your kitties?

fearlessbenjamn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi

How are the kitties doing? Are they best buddies yet??  It took mine about a month and they are still working on their relationship..They decided to get into a wrestling match last night right in the middle of my bed..I guess Caya was laying in Benjamin's spot..Who knows! My Benjamin is a Siamese mix and he is just so stubborn and I think he annoys Caya sometimes..She is a dilute calico..They look like complete opposites..Don't let their innocent cute little faces fool you..They are terrible! They have taken over the house and I am dreading getting a Christmas tree this year..This is our first kittie Christmas and i know that tree will be torn to shreds

View media item 309813