New Kitten Advice, Please!

oniongirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday, we adopted two kittens from Cats Protection. They were born approximately in mid-May according to the centre.

Right before we were due to adopt last week, one of them had a poorly tummy (runny poos) and the adoption was delayed whilst a course of meds were given. When they arrived, we were told there was no more diarrhea, but not to be concerned if their stools were a little soft.

Since getting here, both have had runny poos, although each has done one solid one followed by more runny poos. We've read that it's not unusual for kittens to have a poorly tum due to the stress of rehoming, but do you think a trip to the vet is in order? They are due their 2nd vaccinations on Wednesday this week.

On another note, the two kittens are completely different. The male is very playful with toys, but extremely anxious when you hold your hand out to him and has taken to hiding under the sofa for 10 minutes after anyone has attempted to do so. He seems quite skittish - he even freaks out over his own shadow.

The female on the other hand is very docile. She'll only play with one of those fishing rod toys and gets quite vocal if she manages to catch it (and good luck getting it back off her!). She is much smaller than the male, and doesn't really act very "kitteny"...

Am I worrying too much about their personalities? I wouldn't think twice if they didn't have a poorly tummy, but I'm worried the female is lethargic because she's ill and the male is shying away because he feels a bit rough too.

Any thoughts?

Oh, and while I'm at it, when I take them to the vet, can I use one carrier for both kittens, or is it best to have separate? They both snuggle up together to sleep so seem to like each other (for now!)

Thank you for any advice.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there, 

I am sorry your new kittens are sick. You are right to be worried because kittens can go downhill fast. Are you feeding them the same food as they ate in the shelter? Sudden diet changes can cause soft stools. I would first call the rescue and let them advise you what they think you should do, but I do think a vet trip sooner than later is in order if feel one of the kittens is lethargic. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oniongirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your advice. My naturally worrying nature had already lead me to the decision that I should take them to the vet tomorrow. Rather not risk it.

Having said that, perhaps "lethargic" was too strong a word - she might just be more much laid back than the jumpy kitten!

Do you think that the trip to the vets is likely to set them back, in terms of settling in to their new home? My boyfriend and brother, both cat people, think I am over-reacting! I already feel incredibly protective over them!

Last edited:

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always advise taking a newly adopted cat or kitten to the vet right after adopting them to make sure they are healthy. It might stress them out but it is worth finding out if something is seriously wrong. It is not completely out of the ordinary for shelters to adopt out sick kittens because of they are often over crowded and sometimes cats fall through the cracks. Even if you get a cat from a very reputable source it is always good to get them vet checked right away just to make certain. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A health check up after adoption is always a good idea. As far as carriers, I have 3 cats and 2 carriers. When I've had to take them all to the vet at once, I put brother and sister together in one (making 20 lbs) and the big guy (17 lbs) in the other. The vet is only 1.5 miles from my house so no big deal for me. My boys are quiet and the little female is skittish so that arrangement was kinda beneficial.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I've always taken my kittens (well, I've had 3 so all's a bit grand) to the vet within 2 days of getting them. Generally give a day to settle then go along even if they look fine so they meet the vet - hopefully once without getting anything horrid done other than a trip in the carrier, and get everything checked over. My first kittens I got from a friend's parents in the country and they'd been outside from very young without vaccinations etc, and my 3rd was from a breeder and had been indoors only and spent all his time with his mum. He too had a bit of an upset tum when I first got him but it was just slight food intolerance and was settled in a couple of days - seeing the vet gave me an extra reassurance though. When he got sick a few weeks later it also meant I was confident there hadn't been any signs when I'd picked him up.

As for one or two carriers: as long as you can manage getting them in and out one at a time and you're not transporting one that's obviously unwell and think it might be infectious -  I used to transport the two sister cats I had in one carrier until they were too big and heavy to manage that way. They were calmer all snuggled up together.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as both of them going in the same carrier, for now, that is probably good...I think they'll be less stressed if they can be together, since they are happy together and can snuggle together for comfort.  But certainly later on they will each need their own carrier.  You  may never plan on taking them both out at the same time, say, having vet appointments at the same time, but none the less, you should always have a carrier for every cat, if nothing else,in case of emergency.

Is that them in your Avatar?  Little cuties
.  Cats definitely have their own personalities.  We adopted two at the same time, and they couldn't be more different
,   One would be swinging from the chandelier, while the other would just be laid back not doing much of anything, not really interested in playing much or anything.  (he's still that way 4 years later...very much a lap kitty, and the other one is STILL  getting into all kinds of trouble
)

oniongirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks, all! I will ring the vet in a min as they're not open yet (but are open super-late, which is a bonus!)

We do have two carriers (pre-kitten preparation involved a lot of buying two of everything!), but I'll let them go in the one this time round. Hopefully I will have my worries put to rest later today. I will let you all know.

Oh, and yes, they are the little trouble-makers in my avatar, mrsgreenjeens! It's good to know it could just be a difference in personality rather than signs of poorliness. That's actually the one and only time they ventured on to the radiator seat - I guess when winter comes and the heating is on they might find it more appealing!

Thank you again!

Last edited:

oniongirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just as an update - vet said both were fine and I should chill out. However, he is not convinced that his colleague guesstimated their age correctly, as they are "incredibly tiny for 11 weeks". He also said that due to their low weight, they should have been receiving worming medicine since their 1st vaccinations at the end of July, so we're on that now.

The whole drive to and from the vet I was praying they wouldn't poop on each other - and they didnt! In fact, one of them was straight in the litter tray once out of the carrier, and he did a really runny poo and then proceeded rub his poopy bum all over the carpet. Is that a sign of worm irritation? We have been given a syringe to dose them up, so I am waiting for my other half to arrive home for moral support.

So, I am slightly relieved about the little girl Delilah, and still worried about her brother. Arg!

Last edited:

oniongirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Final update - took the kittens back to their original vet that the Cats Protection had been taking them too. The vet was extremely cross at the other vet I took them too, as Delilah was extremely dehydrated - she had to have water put directly in to her stomach and under her skin. Poor baby.

Both kitties are on antibiotics (as the wait for the stool sample results was taking too long) and both are like different creatures and putting on weight nicely.

Thanks you all for you help and advice whilst I was panicking! I really appreciated it!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good that you had them back to the vet and this one seems to be sorting something out.  I hope you manage to keep your little girl hydrated now. Keep a close swatch over them until they are all finished their antibiotics and putting on weight nicely.

I have my fingers crossed both well soon and that we start to see posts in the behaviour and photo threads about crazy kitten antics.