New Kitten, 5 weeks (about), Oozing Lump On Chest

fredsterkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got this kitten like 5 days ago. I guess as the woman claims she found them abandoned she took them to the vet the vet said they were about 5 weeks old (did some research on how my kitty looks and age and stuff and seems about right) She was the smallest one in the bunch. Got her home and though there was dirt on her chest. She let use scrub it away just fine that was that. Tonight I saw the same stuff there. I thought it was just BBQ sauce cause I had been eating something with that and she kind of fell in it? Or I thought she did so I ignored it. Then I looked at it closer and it looked kind of like a cyst. I picked her up she let me clean it no problem, and use cat disinfectant on it (I have a first aid kit/swabs for cats) It was clearly blood/puss I was cleaning up this time (before it just looked brown like dirt) There seems to be a lump on her upper chest, it's easy to miss cause it also looks like part of a joint but it's a definite lump and there is a hole in it.

I intend to get her to a vet ASAP but she is eating/playing just fine. Doesn't appear to be in any pain at all. I would have smelled an infection by now (When my other cat got an infection a few years ago I smelled it when I got within three feet of him) I have a super sensitive nose. Don't smell anything. So two questions:

1. I can't get sick from anything that oozes out of that right? Because she sleeps on my head/near my face a lot and I assume it's just drainage but I don't know.

2. From what I've already read this sounds kind of like a typical injury for a cat fight? Like if she got in a scuffle with the other kittens in the litter? Like I said I'm going to get her to a vet tomorrow or friday (whenever they can take me) but help is appreciated.

amandakittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm It sounds like it could be an abscess from a wound. You shouldn't be able to contract anything from it, but make sure you wash your hands after handling the kitten and keep it separate from any other animals in the home until she's all checked out by the vet. I wouldn't worry too much if she's eating and acting normally :) Thanks for saving this baby!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fredsterkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I mean I didn't think I could catch anything from it. I have another cat here that she's with but he hasn't really fought her. Like I said we noticed this right when we got her home before she met the other cat. It would probably be best to keep her away from him then (even though he's not mean to her just kind of annoyed by her. Older cat about 7 years old). I mean she is behaving so normally that had I not seen the weird ooze on her I'd have never thought it was a wound I just thought it was food both times. She's such an adorable little thing I think she was the runt (All seemed to be from the same litter)

amandakittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My worry wouldn't be so much about spreading the possible infection (although if it was something like Staph that would be very spreadable) but also things such as FeLV that can be spread by sharing water and food. Also things that aren't as severe but still a pest are fleas, ticks(rare) and ringworm. Please update me tomorrow when you take her in! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fredsterkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to update you:

1. Apparently Freddie is now a Frederick because it's a boy (really really small testicles told you this kitten was young xD)

2. Apparently as was my understanding there was a fly that laid eggs in the wound and they removed a maggot from there. They told me to keep the area clean and then gave me antibiotics for him twice a day and I've been doing that.

3. He had lice/nits whatever so I had to treat my other cat.

Other than those things he is very healthy and it's lucky I really didn't have the change the name all that much I just call him Frederick now. I suppose I could still keep it FREDDIE because there's a male version as well but I like Frederick. Thanks for your help though!