New job and 50% travel What should I do with my cat?

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't particularly like the idea of frequently upping a cat from it's home for five days at a time. Although some cats may not mind constantly moving, I have seen quite a few go off of their food or become depressed due to the stress of traveling and being out of his/her environment.
At the same time, I have also seen this happen to cats who are left alone for long periods of time without human interaction.
It's best to get a friend/family member to come into the home if you're going to be gone more than one day + night (especially to keep food/water/litter fresh) in order to provide regular care and interaction.
Now that may not be an option all of the time, but maybe you could alternate between friends/family members and a cat sitter? That would cut down on your costs somewhat...that is if they family member/friend doesn't charge a large fee.
A second cat would help keep your other cat company; however, regular care and human interaction would still be needed. So in the end, youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll end up worried about what to do two kitties instead of one while youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re gone.
It's a very tough situation, and I wish I could provide more helpful ideas. I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find a solution soon.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personaly I would never take a job that requires travel and if my emplyer wanted me to go on a trip I would flat out refuse unless it was an overnight that I could drive to. I hate to travel and when I do its only by train, or car. I hate busses, and I refuse to fly. If everyone was like me we would still be in the stone age
I am perfectly happy never leaving NYC. The only time I leave is to visit my parents upstate a couple of times a year and I drive and my kitties come with me. As a matter of fact I havent even been off the Island in 6 months.

maddensmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We travel on and off for my husbands business. He works on both sides of the state and we go back and forth periodicaly. Its about a four hour drive and we can be gone for anywhere from 3 days to two weeks at a time depending on the work. We bring our dog and
Madden with us. They both love riding in the vehicle and neither of them mind being at either place. We've traveled them both since they were babies though. I think it depends on the animal when you decide wether or not to take them with you. How do you think that she would do if you took her with?
I know that I could never leave my babies at home, I can't even stand the thought of leaving them period!!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your promotion!
I really feel for you in your dilemma - you could try taking Bailey with you for awhile & see how it goes, or you could try getting her a companion cat. I have had to leave my cats before, but my parents check on them daily, and in fact, Joey & JC stay at my mom's - they have been with me since early kittenhood. Cindy, on the other hand, lived alone in a rest area when she was young, and doesn't seem to mind my being gone, nor do my older kittens, Amy Rose and Andy. My brother tamed a feral named Ozzy who doesn't seem to mind being alone most of the week - but my sis does go over there to feed him twice daily, and since my niece started kindergarten, my sis eats breakfast at my brother's and Ozzy is starting to visit her while she's there. I think that cats are resilient, but you might put out "feelers" regarding re-homing Bailey - and see if that will be an option or not - the shelters are brimming with kitties needing a home. What a dilemma!
Susan

abbigailgreysky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations! I used to be an Admissions Counselor at a College so I traveled alot, and at that time I was single so there wasn't anyone else around...at that time Abbigail was still a senior and really didn't mind having the house to herself...my landlords who lived right next door would come by and check on her so it worked out fine. This Christmas my husband and I are going out of town for Christmas and her vet said that she will be fine to stay home while we are away since she does not take to boarding well at all. She is going on 16 years old and very set in her ways and routine and does not take to new people or surroundings well at all! So, IMO, I think it depends on your situation.