new issue with our elderly 'sorta feral' cat

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your comments about a heating pad for our elderly outdoor cat Biggles...

Sadly, we have a new issue with him that I'd like to ask for advice about...
This has happened a couple of times before, but this is the first time it's been so clear to me.
Biggles had been out front, enjoying the sun. I went out to greet him, and he asked to be let in; he went to the other cats' food dish and ate a bit, then asked to go to the garage... this is standard operating procedure for him. I went out there with him and sat down to make a lap for him, as we always do. He stretched out in my lap, and I started scrubbing his cheek as usual. I don't have to worry about scrubbing too hard, because he *clearly* communicates how hard he expects me to scrub!!

But then things changed... I was scrubbing his cheek, he was pushing back against my fingers as usual... but then he started growling... Loud!!
I immediately stopped scrubbing, and just sat with my hands lightly on his side, but he kept growling. I tried touching different areas, to see if there was some spot that he was growling about, but it didn't seem to be the case. After sitting there and growling for awhile, he got up and walked to the garage door, asking to be let out, but then he turned around, came back and climbed back into my lap, stretching out in his resting position. I sat without touching him, for a few seconds - no growling, but as soon as I set my hands lightly on his sides, he started growling again.

This is *very* different reaction, from what he shows when the indoor cats approach him - them, he just hisses at. This growling is unique for him.
Anyway, I stood up and just walked toward him, to see what would happen; he stood looking back at me, like he does when he expects me to walk up and skritch him, but when I got near him, he HISSED !! This was much more assertive than the casual hisses that he makes at the cats.

So I backed off at that point, and walked to the side door in case he wanted out, which he did. He's now out back, looking for a sunny spot to settle in.

He has previously growled or hissed while in my lap, a couple of times before, but it wasn't this assertive, and I assumed that he was annoyed by the boys making sounds at the garage door (they *really* would love to make friends with him!). This time, they were not active at all.

What do y'all think about this?? My gut feeling is that something is very wrong inside... but it popped up so suddenly; a couple of hours ago, I spent about 15 minutes in the front yard with him in my lap, giving him scrubs, and he was quite contented...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume that you still let him out- so could he possibly be sore from a fight? I ask that because I have one older feral cat who has allowed me the privileged of picking him up- except for one time when he was sore- on that occasion he growled and sent a swipe in my direction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I assume that you still let him out- so could he possibly be sore from a fight? I ask that because I have one older feral cat who has allowed me the privileged of picking him up- except for one time when he was sore- on that occasion he growled and sent a swipe in my direction.
hmmm... normally, that would definitely be a possibility; there is a stump-tail tabby male who's been hanging out in our yard, and they have tussled before.

However, I had been out front with him an hour back and he was fine, and when I let him in this time, he came in pretty casually, I don't think he had recently fought with the other. He initially stretched out in my lap just fine, and I had been scrubbing him for a few minutes before he started growling...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd guess either tooth pain that you aggravated when petting him, fight injury you touched or arthritis pain setting in. It's not uncommon for cats to show aggression towards someone when they touch a painful spot thinking the person (or other animal) caused the pain directly. I'd give him a day or two and try petting elsewhere to see if you still get the same reaction. A vet visit is probably in order to check him out but chances are it is something manageable.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm... normally, that would definitely be a possibility; there is a stump-tail tabby male who's been hanging out in our yard, and they have tussled before.

However, I had been out front with him an hour back and he was fine, and when I let him in this time, he came in pretty casually, I don't think he had recently fought with the other. He initially stretched out in my lap just fine, and I had been scrubbing him for a few minutes before he started growling...

Well, he wasn't doing it to be a jerk- I am thinking there is pain involved somewhere.

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he wasn't doing it to be a jerk- I am thinking there is pain involved somewhere.
Yeah, I agree with that.
I would *much* rather the pain was from a fight injury, rather than from new tumors from the sarcoma that he has...
I'll try a very careful, staged approach, the next time he climbs into my lap...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I agree with that.
I would *much* rather the pain was from a fight injury, rather than from new tumors from the sarcoma that he has...
I'll try a very careful, staged approach, the next time he climbs into my lap...

Great idea- It will keep you from getting hurt and it will also show him that you are being considerate to any discomfort that he may be experiencing at the moment.

I hope so too- is there any way you can get him to a vet?

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We definitely *do* have a vet, and have already spent over $2000 on caring for him (I discussed this in more detail in my previous message about heating pads). We know he has lympho-sarcoma, and has quickly-developing tumors on his skin, which were suppressed initially by the prednisolone, but are starting to return. We've already decided not to pursue chemotherapy, given his advanced age and various other issues. So I'm a little uncertain about what conditions should drive a return to the vet, at this point...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We definitely *do* have a vet, and have already spent over $2000 on caring for him (I discussed this in more detail in my previous message about heating pads). We know he has lympho-sarcoma, and has quickly-developing tumors on his skin, which were suppressed initially by the prednisolone, but are starting to return. We've already decided not to pursue chemotherapy, given his advanced age and various other issues. So I'm a little uncertain about what conditions should drive a return to the vet, at this point...

Okay, sometimes people on this site don't always get a chance to read all of the threads that are posted by other members. I did not know that he was battling lympo- sarcoma and I am so sorry that you are both going through this. My only answer to your last statement would be something for his pain issues.

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ummm... wow... I just realize now, that I assumed that whoever read *this* thread, would be aware of the previous thread!!
That's a pretty dumb assumption, and I'm sorry!!

I don't think I'm thinking all that clearly at this time... we love this old man so much, and we *know* that his time with us is limited... but we were (well... still are) both dreaming of having a few months more with him before the sarcoma takes him. We try to keep him in the garage as much as we can (especially on these cold nights), but he's been outdoors all of his life (we estimate about 15 years, but don't know for sure), and really wants to get out sometimes, so on the sunny days we've been letting him out.

This new change is certainly not welcome... but it's part of the process that we know is going to take place.
Next time I get him in my lap (he *loves* the lap!!), I'll try to do careful scans for injuries... they are particularly problematic now, because the prednisolone suppresses his immune system (our vet warned us about that)... our poor old man...

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I definitely understand where you are with vet care and expenses as I have a couple of elderly cats who are in a similar situation. I would probably get him checked out for dental pain or the like, hopefully something which might be easily manageable or treated.

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely understand where you are with vet care and expenses as I have a couple of elderly cats who are in a similar situation. I would probably get him checked out for dental pain or the like, hopefully something which might be easily manageable or treated.
Fortunately, the vet has been checking his teeth carefully each time we bring him in, since he's been an outdoor cat most of his life (the cat, not the vet), and hasn't gotten any care previously. He said his teeth look fine !!

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, this morning he has accepted a lap twice, and both times he has accepted my normal firm scrubs with no complain - in fact, appeared to really like them, as he has in the past. I wonder if something unrelated to health was going on last night? Maybe he was annoyed by the attention that he got from the kittens, though he has tolerated them adequately in the past...

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, this morning he has accepted a lap twice, and both times he has accepted my normal firm scrubs with no complain - in fact, appeared to really like them, as he has in the past. I wonder if something unrelated to health was going on last night? Maybe he was annoyed by the attention that he got from the kittens, though he has tolerated them adequately in the past...

I am so happy that he is back to his normal loving self. You are probably right in thinking that something happen last night that caused him to be on edge.

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
I don’t know why I didn’t think about this with your last thread, but you should consider joining the private Facebook group Feline Lymphoma Worldwide - https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=10073257132&ref=content_filter

There are very knowledgeable people there and have helped me out a lot with my Lymphoma fosters before.

If you don’t have Facebook, make one. Trust me, it is worth joining. The sole reason I have a Facebook is to engage in cat health and rescue groups.

The cat health ones like the lymphoma group often also have vets acting as administrators. But there is a wealth of information to be shared there, including for hospice care.

You really need a plan set in place for future pain management.

I am so sorry, but glad he seems to be feeling better. Hang in there ❤