New house, lots of cats!

EmaRo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I am having somewhat of a dilema. There are lots of cats at our new farm house that come for food at night. Usually we have a bowl out. We were told by previous owner that they are like the neighborhood cats. One bright orange small tabby comes every single evening without fail, chomps down like 1 cup of kibble and runs, or rather hobbles away. He/she has two back legs which are crippled. He looks absolutely terrified of me and never lets me close. I am feeling overcome with emotions. I imagine it would be pretty easy to catch this cat and keep him/her safe in our house. I am not sure it is a good idea. Any one with experience or not can help us do the right thing?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure it is a good idea.
Hi! Welcome!!
Why are you concerned this wouldn't be a good idea? A vet visit first thing to ensure he's healthy otherwise, and you and he will be ok.

My guess is that his fear of everything is heightened because he feels extra vulnerable with the disability, plus you're new to him. I think it could go either of two ways, that you trap him and bring him in and he has a difficult time making the transition, or he fairly quickly finds relief in being inside.

One thing for sure, you will need to be incredibly patient to the depths of your soul to avoid having expectations of him and to allow him the emotional space he'll need to discover on his own that indoors really, honestly is a good place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmaRo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am only worried the cat would be traumatized and have a heart attack or something.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you know if this cat has an owner or is he a stray? I would give him a little time to get used to you and build up some trust before trying to catch him. Sit a little way from the food and talk to him while he is eating so he gets used to the sound of your voice.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking from experience, you're going to want to get all the cats spayed/neutered as quickly as possible, or there's going to be A Situation in a few years! If you coordinate with the neighbors maybe you can sort out which cats have been fixed already, if any belong to someone, etc. Hopefully there's a low-cost spay/neuter program or a helpful farm vet in the area.

As for the disabled kitty, yes, it would be best to try to get him inside. A Havahart trap would be the best way, so you can take him straight to the vet for neutering, vaccines, an exam to see what's up with his legs, and all that. Even if he's fully feral, he can still live inside, although he won't be a lap cat. At least he'd be safe. Be aware and have plans for what you'll do if it turns out he's incontinent (many paralyzed cats are), since he's not tame enough to put diapers on him. It may be best to put him to sleep if he can't be kept indoors, sadly.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Amen to start thinking about getting a TNR program going or you are going to have a kitten apocalypse eventually. I know that this sounds overwhelming, but start out by investigating your new area for anyone who can help, groups in the area, talk to neighbors about what they know or could help with. As for the injured kitty....I would try to rescue him using a Havahart trap.....your decision if it is best to let him acclimate to you a little bit at first when he comes for food.

I do agree that he will need an evaluation once you get him. He could be a lost or abandoned pet or have some knowledge of people enough to where he would not be as difficult as it might seem. I have two ferals who live inside....one 15 and one 9 and they are not lap cats; however, the two young ones we just brought in who are 2 years old have adapted into complete pets, so you never know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmaRo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all, you have given me a lot to think about. I guess I never thought about an incontinent cat, though I figured there might be some issues especially before deworming...
I actually haven’t met my neighbors yet very well. I do know they have many cats and kittens at their house. They come over sometimes and I can tell that they are tame pets. They don’t run from me and they meow at me.

The ones who are skittish and eat enormous amounts of food in one sitting (so far 3)- I am under they impression they are the neighborhood strays and it seems the old owner used to feed them. He passed away and I did not get a huge amount of info about the cats.

I am sure there are lots of people who might want to tnr around. Maybe I can ask.