New House And New “roomies”

Sophie87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I moved to a new place with my 2 cats, the oldest is almost 2 yo, the youngest is 9 mo, they've lived with me and my exroomie in the same house since they were kittens, but now my roomie is getting married and three's a crowd, so I movedmoved a week ago, but the problem is there are 2 dogs in this house, they're not allowed to come inside, but they bark at anything, and my cats are used to living with the sweetest dog ever (whom I miss so so much) who rarely barks, and was the chillest dog on Earth.

I haven't forced them to come downstairs, their food and litter boxes are in the top story (food in my room, litter boxes right outside in the hallway) I even asked to work from home this week so I could be here while they adapted, but they just won't come downstairs, at all, and when they do they're extremely nervous and jump at every little sound or movement and run upstairs to hide in my room.

What can I do to help them adapt to the house, as I won't be able to stay another week doing home office? How long is it going to take them to feel less anxious? The oldest is a very social cat, and the youngest not very, but she's isn't antisocial either.

Tips and advices would be gladly appreciated

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you said they don’t come in but I would get something with the dogs scent on it for them to get used just in case. As far as the barking goes, I wonder if you record the dogs barking on your phone or something and playing it for the cats at a lower volume to get them accustomed to it? Is there a time when you are the only one in the house? I would try and bring them down for short periods of time, preferably when the house is empty and quiet...

Other then that I would say give it time. I hope things go smoothly for your furry ones!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't add anything to that! If they were indoor dogs, we could link you to an article to introduce them properly, but that isn't the case.

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing how long it will take them to adjust. I'm betting that the elder cat will adjust more quickly, simply because she is more social, but if the younger is more curious, I could easily be wrong. Just be patient, and don't worry about taking another week off. They'll actually do fine with their "safe space."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophie87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advice! they're better now, they actually spend time downstairs with me (Ariel, the oldest, is currently lying on my lap as I write this) the dogs still bark at them and jump when the cats are downstairs, so they're not as relaxed as I would like, but I think I'll move their food downstairs today or tomorrow, which is where it's going to be permanently. My human roomie is never home, so we're practically alone all the time.

The only thing that worries me now is that the oldest is trying to escape, she waits behind the front door or tries to climb through the window, I'm sure she's trying to go back “home”. How long is she going to try to run away?

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the biggest step is when they can see the scary noise, now that they have, they should calm down I think. They will also put the dogs in their place and realize that they can jump and run faster and smack, so they will soon be back to feeling superior. So good of you to stay with them! I bet that helped a lot!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sure she's trying to go back “home”. How long is she going to try to run away?
While there is no way to know exactly how long it will take for her to feel at home there, the more she is downstairs, and the more her scent is all over the place there, the more relaxed she will be, and the less she will try to get out. The dogs becoming used to her will help as well. You'll just have to be both watchful and patient as this behavior slowly lessens.