New home creates bad behavior

ally cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat I found him under a car last winter I thought he was a she until about a month ago. for the longest time It was just the two of us, two girls live in a small space. a couple of months a go we moved in with my boyfriend and his girl dog. bigger space and additional cohabitants. It took about a month for her to get along with the dog now they can sleep near each other.

but she started to spray; I read somewhere that girl cats sometimes spray but once you get them spade they stop. so I took her in. The vet calls to tell me that she was an already neutered male. He is spraying and peeing on everything bookshelf, clothes, fireplaces and we found him spraying on the computer. I have to figure something out because if he destroys our PCs we are screwed. He is 3-5 cant tell for sure though.

Lyzzie

La Folle Aux Chats
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!

Spraying is common for entire males, but happens with neutered ones too. IMHO, he is marking because he feels insecure in his territory. It's his way of reassuring himself with his own scent : "This is mine, this his mine, oh, this is mine too!"

What kind of set-up do you have for him? Does he have things that are his to own? Like a cat tree, scratching post, shelves, toys, maybe an area high up for him to get away from the dog if he wants to?

You also have to clean all the areas sprayed with an enzyme cleaner, it breaks up the urine and get rid of any smell. If it smells, he's going to mark it again. With the amount of spraying he does, I would buy a black light, and check the whole house with it.

Here are some articles that might help :
[article="29684"]Spraying When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory  [/article][article="29728"]How To Remove Cat Urine  [/article]
Keep us posted! And my favorite question, do you have pics of your fur family? We love pics!!